Welling United Supporters Association (WUSA)
Who are WUSA?
WUSA was founded just after the HMRC issued a winding up petition against Welling United prior to the 2010/11 season.
The fans grouped together to loan the club the £63,000 to pay off the debt and WUSA was formed to:
- Facilitate the money being raised
- Ensure the supporters had representation on the board of the club
- Ensure that this issue could not arise again
- Have a group set up to create a Phoenix club should the HMRC case have resulted in the end of Welling United.
Since then WUSA have undertaken a number of projects and fundraising schemes to benefit the club and its supporters. Our aim is to grow the membership, in the belief that we have a stronger voice with a greater number of supporters on board.
The contact details of committee members can be found via this link, and please feel free to get in touch with whatever questions or concerns you have or feedback on facilities and improvements.
WUSA Benefits and Membership Fee?
Details of benefits and membership fees can be found here.
What have WUSA done?
Over the past years we have represented the fans at board meetings and held regular discussions with the board and owner around the day-to-day running of the club and the way forward. This will continue going forward, with the Chairman of WUSA holding a seat on the Welling United board of directors.
Every summer, and during the winter last year, we help with ground improvements, both coordinating the improvements and workforces and part-funding the improvements. These improvements include:
- Painting, maintenance, general tidying go the ground and facilities, inside and out
- Tidying and maintaining the terraces
- Improvements to main stand, seating, press area and director’s box/area
- Improved turnstiles
- New player’s dug outs and areas in front of dug out
- New advertising boards around ground
- Clearance of areas below main stand and building of club shop and programme shop (Club shop is now in cabin outside Wings Bar)
- Building of a Manager’s Office
- Help finance floodlight repairs
- Helped fund the playing budget by Boost the Budget and GoFundMe Schemes.
- Helped finance the purchase of ultrasound equipment for the club physio.
- Contributed 50% to the purchase of the new catering van.
Fundraising is something we regularly carry throughout the season and close season providing valuable funds for all our projects and supporting the club. These include:
- Sponsor a goal
- 50/50 prize draw
- Monthly quiz nights
- Race nights
Coach travel is something that we started to run significantly in the Conference Premier Seasons and will continue when the need arises.
When the Danson Festival was in operation we operated a Welling United stall every year. We ran a speed shot game (which raised funds and raised awareness for the club) and sold merchandise.
We also organise and host the end of season presentation evenings at the club, and have organised the voting and trophies for these events since WUSA’s formation.
Aims for the 2022/23 season
- Run coaches when the need arises and is financially viable
- Continue to represent the fans with a voice on the board and also communication with the owner. This is especially important with the planned developments on the ground that the club are still looking to proceed with
- We will still run the 50/50 draw and sponsor a goal scheme
- We still plan to run the end of season presentation evening
- Race nights and other fundraising events
- We also plan to run a monthly Friday night quiz in the Wings Bar
- Increase the membership number which has dropped off due to Covid.
- Help fund ground improvement projects
- Represent the club at the annual BexFest at Danson Park, which has taken over from the Danson Festival.