Woking 1-0 Welling United

Welling bowed out of the FA Cup with a narrow defeat at Woking on Saturday. In a game of very fine margins between two evenly matched teams. The 2nd half sending off of Julian Anau ultimately proved the difference as Woking took advantage of the numerical difference to seal their passage to the 1st round.

Welling were the better side in the 1st half and Brendan Kiernan showed good control on the edge of the box but hit a half volley over early on in the game.

Nassim L’Ghoul saw a free kick almost sneak in at the near post but goalkeeper got down to it slowly to tip the effort around the post.

Mills went down in the penalty area midway through the first half but the referee waved away strong penalty appeals.

The game wasn’t littered with many clear cut chances, it what was a very tight affair, but Danny Mills had a good chance with a header from a Braham-Barrett cross that went wide.

Woking who had been on the back foot for most of the half had a glorious chance as half time approached.

Nicky Wheeler played a quick ball forward and found Max Kretzschmar who burst clear with just Wilks to beat. The striker for some reason cut back inside allowing Braham-Barrett to make a vital tackle.

Into the 2nd half Woking had to improve and they did as they pushed forward more and it was now Welling on the back foot. Jamar Loza put an effort into the side netting before Hyde had the ball in the net but he was adjudged to have fouled Thierry Audel in the build up.

The game though changed in the 57th minute. Julian Anau already on a booking made a foul in the middle of midfield, that was worthy of another yellow card and was shown a red card, giving Woking all the momentum.

Woking were struggling to break down a very determined Welling defence with John Paul Kissock making a great block. Kretschmar then hit an audacious effort straight at Dan Wilks.

However in the 77th minute Woking got the winning goal. A corner was only half cleared and it allowed Paul Hodges to nod the ball back into the six yard box for Ben Gerring to head home past Wilks.

Welling now had to go in search of an equaliser and they came very close almost immediately Brendan Kiernan forcing a smart save out of Criag Ross.

In the fifth and final minute of injury time L’Ghoul whipped in a free kick that was met by Bradley Goldberg his volley was heading in but a fine save from Ross, denied Welling the replay they deserved as this game of very fine margins went the way of Woking.

Welling now concentrate on the league campaign as Gloucester City visit PVR next Saturday.

View the Match Centre here

Other Articles