Weymouth 1-0 Welling United

Mark Doig Reports From Dorset

Supporters travelling to Welling United’s longest away game of the season returned home unrewarded.

For the first thirty minutes, Welling were at least equal with the newly promoted Terras as they met on the South West Coast for the first time since 2010. Then Connor Dymond was sent off and the whole complexion of the game changed.

Jake McCarthy blasted over from a Yemi Odubade corner before Welling had a couple of chances. Joe Anderson found Josh Oyinsan who held it up well before laying off to Luke Rooney but he was off balance and volleyed wide.

Then Anthony Cook was blocked off just outside the penalty area and he took the free kick himself but curled it just wide of the far post.

At the other end Ben Thomson had a shot deflected wide before firing straight at Wilks.

Cook was again in the thick of it when combining well Oyinsan. He spotted the Weymouth goalkeeper off his line but his thirty-five yard effort went just over.

It was then that everything changed. After committing a late tackle that earned him a yellow card he dived into a bad challenge by the touchline and was already walking down the tunnel before the second yellow and red card were brandished.

Oyinsan was withdrawn, much to his clear annoyance, and Montel Agyemang was introduced to bolster the midfield.

Dan Wilks made a save from an Ollie Harfield free kick but other than that he was not required to make a save from Weymouth long range shots before the break.

After the half time interval, Wilks was called upon to save from Harfield and Abdulai Baggie but although Weymouth enjoyed the lion’s share of possession, most of their shooting was from distance and was wayward.

There was one almighty goalmouth scramble when the Welling defenders threw their bodies on the line but it looked as if the Wings were going to claim a heroic point until Weymouth made the breakthrough with fifteen minutes remaining. Wilks made a brilliant save from Harfield but substitute Brett Williams was first to the rebound and bundled home.

Jack Jebb was introduced for Luke Rooney and had a shot deflected wide almost immediately and from his corner Rob Swaine had a header blocked. It came out to Welling’s star performer Ejiro Okosieme and he found Agyemang. His cross in was met by Gavin McCallum who hooked it just over.

Welling now have a week to prepare for next Saturday when they host league leaders Wealdstone.

Welling United: Wilks, Rich-Baghuelou, Anderson, Dymond, Swaine, Okosieme, Cook, Rooney (Jebb 80), Oyinsan (Agyemang 30), Coombes (Cosgrave 70), McCallum. Subs not used: Green, Prestedge.

Other Articles