Welling United 7-0 Chipstead FC

Welling put a difficult period in the league firmly behind them as they brushed aside Chipstead FC in empathic fashion with a 7-0 victory to move into the 3rd Qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup.

As early as the 3rd minute, Welling went close as Adam Coombes headed a cross against the post with Oliver Pain The Chips keeper a spectator. But just 3 minutes later in the 6th minute Adam Coombes did put Welling ahead. A ball into the channel sent Adam Coombes clear allowing the ball to bounce The Wings man hit the ball clean and crisp giving Pain no chance to set Welling on their way.

In what turned out to be a rare chance Chipstead did almost respond straight away as Grant glanced a header wide. Coombes then saw an effort deflected wide for a corner. Bradley Goldberg picked up on some sloppy play by The Chips and as he burst towards goal his shot was tipped around the post by Pain. From the resulting corner Danny Waldren escaped his marker to head unmarked past Pain to double the lead.

Coombes then came inches from adding to the scoreline but his header from a Cook corner went just wide.

On the half hour mark though Welling did make it 3-0, Pain made a mess of a punched clearance the ball found Waldren who shot goalwards, the ball deflected kindly to Coombes who took a touch before powerfully finishing past Pain.

Dan Wilks a spectator for much of the match almost gifted Chipstead a lifeline as he claimed a simple cross only to drop the ball but he managed to claw the ball away from the line just in time.

On half time, Welling looked to have claims for a penalty, another ball into the channel caused the away side problems. Goldberg burst away from a challenge only to be hauled back, the decision being the foul
took place outside the area, from the free kick Antony Cook blazed over.

The Wings made a perfect start to the second half as they went 4-0 ahead. The half was just 30 seconds old when Pain made a hash of another cross the ball fell to Cook who expertly volleyed the ball home, a technically great finish. Former Welling man Hudson hit an effort wide for Chipstead as they tried to at least get on the scoresheet.

However it was Welling who kept coming forward and Rob Swaine rose highest from a corner but put his header just wide. Having made a series of subs, Welling won a penalty, Josh Oyinsan adjudged to have been bundled over in the area. Upstepped Bradley Goldberg who sent the keeper the wrong way to make it 5-0.

Three minutes later in the 73rd minute Goldberg grabbed his double and The Wings 6th a smart ball from Jebb played in Goldberg and he drilled a low effort beyond Pain.

However Welling saved the best to last, Jack Jebb curling home a trademark 25 yard free kick beyond Pain as Welling hit 7-0

It was a professional display from
Welling with the win a welcome confidence boost which The Wings will now look to transfer into the league campaign. Manager Mark Goldberg knowing his Wings side will face tougher afternoon’s than this in the forthcoming weeks.

Attendance 388

Other Articles

Player Interview | Danny Waldren
WUFC TV Highlights | Chipstead FC