Welling United 3-1 Hungerford Town

Welling returned to the summit of Vanarama National League South with a resounding 2nd half display against Hungerford Town.

It was Hungerford who had the first attempt of the game, Darren Foxley picking up a loose pass in the Wings midfield before firing a 25 yard effort just wide of Darren Wilks goal.

It was some 20 minutes later before the next chance arrived, as both sides struggled to stamp their authority on the game with passes wayward from both sides. A deep corner from L’Ghoul was headed goal wards by Audel, but Hungerford keeper Weaver tipped the effort over.

Chances were few and far between, with the game becoming stop start, but in the 33rd minute The Wings took the lead with a fantastically worked goal and the first bit of quality in the game. Wilks threw the ball out to the impressive Dan McNamara who took a touch before going on a lung bursting run up field, he in turned played the ball out to L’Ghoul who crossed for Bradley Goldberg, the striker controlled before firing a low effort past Weaver and into the bottom corner to cap a fine team goal.

Just three minutes later, Wilks came to the rescue of Welling and defender Yannis Ambrosine, his short back pass almost allowed in Rhys Kavanagh but Wilks was out quickly and smashed the ball against the Hungerford striker and the ball looped out for a goal kick.

Hungerford had their best period of the game and Orsi-Dadomo was presented with a great chance but his snap shot went wide. Orsi-Dadomo then had another chance but his header was easily gathered by Wilks and the striker received a bang on his head for his troubles which required treatment.

With The Wings not at their best, they still looked to be heading towards half time ahead only to press the self destruct button in added on time.

Ambrosine looked to be ushering the ball out a play to safety only to see the ball nipped off of him by the lively Orsi-Dadomo. He then played in Matt Jones who burst into the area before smashing the ball at Wilks who could only push the effort into his own net at the near post, as the sides went in level at the break.

With a flea in the ear from Manager Steve King at half time, Welling came out looking like a different side and dominated for long periods. L’Ghoul was first to try his luck with the Frenchman stinging the hands of Weaver who parried the effort away. Bradley Goldberg having his best game in a Wings shirt for some time, took a smart touch and turned forcing Weaver into a great save.

The Wings attack were constant and L’Ghoul shot wide before superb forward play from
McNamara saw him cross for Goldberg but he glanced his header just wide.

A corner from L’Ghoul was headed back out to him, he cut inside before curling his effort wide. The Wings then made a change with Danny Mills replacing Matthew Paterson and it was a substitution that changed the game.

With 15 minutes remaining and The Wings on the verge of becoming frustrated, Welling got the break through they deserved.

Kiernan played a cross into the area where Danny Mills rose highest to head goal wards and November player of the month Nassim L’Ghoul was on hand to bravely knock the ball home, having almost clattered into the back post.

With Hungerford having to throw men forward in order to try and muster chances they did have a few corners that came to nothing. In time added on Welling hit the away side on the counter to wrap the points up. A cross into the box was not dealt with and the super sub Danny Mills capped a fine cameo display with a smashed effort from close range as Welling returned to the top of the table.

The Wings now face a crunch clash down in Devon on Saturday with Torquay United who could claim top spot by the time the two sides meet.

View Match Centre here

Other Articles