Welling United 2-2 St Albans City

Welling and St Albans played out a highly controversial draw at Park View Road, referee Mr Tom Bishop leaving the home fans incensed with his performance after he sent off both Danny Mills and Arnaud Mendy within the final 25 minutes.

Welling had an opportunity within the first minute Danny Mills rising well to head a Brendan Kiernan cross just wide.

However St Albans came into the game and Sam Merson brought a smart save out of Dan Wilks. The away side then took the lead in the 10th minute Soloman Sambou produced a deep cross, which Sam Merson met with a header at the back for Zane Banton to nod home from close range. In the build up to the goal Welling lost Jordan Gibbons to a nasty looking injury and he was replaced by Lanre Oyebanjo.

Welling almost replied immediately Danny Mills seeing his low effort hacked off the line by Joshua McLeod-Urquhart that was going in.

A burst from midfield from David Ijaha resulted in the skipper blazing over from range.

St Albans were still posing a threat and they almost doubled their lead as James Ewington saw his low effort cannon off the the post as Welling scrambled away the rebound.

Brendan Kiernan produced a teasing cross which Bradley Goldberg met with a clever flick but keeper Dean Snedker saved at the 2nd attempt.

Mendy fired over late into 1st half stoppage time as Welling went in behind at the break.

Welling came out strongly in the 2nd half but they were dealt another blow when Richard Orlu pulled up with a hamstring problem and had to be replaced by Josh Hill.

However just four minutes of Hill being on the pitch, the former St Albans man equalised. Kiernan again produced a brilliant cross and this time he was rewarded as Josh Hill slotted home from close range.

Welling now sensed they could get ahead and the impressive Oyebanjo crossed which Bradley Goldberg met with a near post header that was only stopped by a fine Snedker save.

However from the corner, Welling went ahead the initial corner was played back out to Kiernan who then sent in an inch perfect cross that Josh Hill met with a bullet header that was too good for Snedker. In the aftermath, St Albans players Soloman Sambou and Tom Bender both squared up to each other with seemingly a head-butt and punches thrown. Expecting a red card for at least one of the guilty players, Mr Bishop decided a yellow card for Bender was all that was merited.

However Sambou was substituted immediately as the St Albans bench reacted to the episode.

Welling were in full control and the impressive Kiernan made space for a shot but blazed over, before Goldberg then brought another save out of Snedeker.

However in the 68th minute the game was changed in an instant. A long throw was launch into the St Albans area where Danny Mills jumped looking to flick the ball on. However referee Mr Bishop stunned everyone in the ground by stopping play and brandishing a red card for Danny Mills.

It completely changed the flow of the game and allowed St Albans a way back into the game that looked to be getting beyond them. Diedhiou brought out a save from Wilks. Ben Herd then had an effort bravely blocked by Oyebanjo who blocked his effort with a diving header.

But with 7 minutes remaining the game changed even further. Mendy was adjudged to have pulled down Sam Merson in the penalty area from a corner. Mendy was quickly shown a second yellow card and sent off as Welling were now reduced to 9 men. Sam Merson calmly sent Dan Wilks the wrong way to level the score.

St Albans were now launching everything at Welling but The Wings bravely held out for a vital point, but they will have been left thinking what might have been had the referee not intervened with his decisions.

View the Match Centre here

Other Articles