Welling United 2-1 Chippenham Town

Welling came from behind to score two goals in the last twenty minutes to claim a vital 3 points. In this hastily rearranged fixture, the atmosphere was rather flat and subdued, until The Wings found some stirring effort to pull the game back in their favour and maintain their play off push.

It was Chippenham who started the brighter and Nik McCootie forced a smart save from Dan Wilks. However this warning shot was not heeded and in the 15th minute the away side took the lead. A smart ball took Gibbons out of the game, which Karnell Chambers latched onto and dinked over Wilks from a tight angle for a smart finish.

Welling who at this point could barely string two passes together such was their poor start, slowly got back into stride. Brendan Kiernan heading a corner wide from 10 yards out.

Mills and Barham then linked well twice in a short space of time. Mills rising well to flick on a header to Barham, that Keeper Puddy did well to block. The duo repeated the trick soon after but Barham lost his footing at the crucial moment and the opportunity was gone.

5 minutes before half time, Danny Mills was denied a stonewall penalty hauled down in the box as a free kick was delivered. Much to the disbelief of all in the ground, the assistant referee and referee waved away the appeals.

Straight after the restart Chippenham missed a golden opportunity to double their lead. George Rigg slipping the ball through to Chambers and despite him looking offside the flag stayed down but he blasted wide with just Wilks to beat. It was the turning point of the game.

McLeod then tricked his way into the area but shot straight at Puddy. McCallum replaced McCleod and the winger had a big impact. He crossed for Hill but the defender could only volley over. The Wings were now in full throttle and Agyemang did well to get to the by-line before squaring for Kiernan at the near post but Puddy saved well.

But in the 71st minute Welling equalised. McCallum played a ball to the overlapping Gibbons who crossed for Mills his poked effort found Kiernan who gleefully tapped home from close range.

The momentum was now with Welling and in the 80th minute the turnaround was complete. A great cross into the box by Kiernan was met by Josh Hill, he glanced his header goalwards which took a deflection and looped over a stranded Puddy, as Hill wheeled away in celebration.

The Wings pushed for a third and Bradley Goldberg saw a shot deflect wide when it looked to be heading in.

A late flurry of throw ins and free kicks from Chippenham were dealt with by the Wings defence as The Wings made it their first double win of the season and ended their midweek hoodoo.

The Wings now face two games on the road starting with Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday.

Other Articles