Welling United 2-1 Chesham United

Welling came through a tricky FA Cup tie against Chesham United. Played in horrendous conditions it was by no means a vintage display from The Wings, but a Gavin McCallum bullet header 12 minutes from time was enough to send Welling through.

The Generals winless and bottom of their league started well and a short corner caught Welling cold, Dave Pearce crossed but Jefferson Louis who should have scored headed home nodded wide when left unmarked.

They went even closer when Ben Walster connected with a header from a deep cross by Lewis Rolfe, the header leaving Wilks rooted as the effort clipped the crossbar, much to The Wings relief.

The Wings were not firing and it was by no means a shock when Chesham finally took the lead. The manner of the goal conceded though will have frustrated Wings manager Steve King. David Ijaha was caught in possession 25 yards from goal and Ryan Blake cheaply caught him in possession before poking to the ball to veteran striker Jefferson Louis who took a touch and curled an effort past Dan Wilks to stun Welling.

This goal was like a shot in the arm for Welling and finally they began to play and they responded just 5 minutes later. In the 35 minute great play from Gavin McCallum saw him burst into the Chesham area, before pulling the ball back to Jack Jebb who coolly slotted home for his 5th goal of the season.

Welling were now on top and a fantastic save from Chesham keeper Alex Tokarczyk saw him push away a rifled effort from Gavin McCallum who playing in a more forward role was at the heart of the Wings forward play.

Welling were now getting in behind the Chesham defence and Braham-Barrett made a great overlapping run that resulted in Tokarczyk making another fine save at his near post.

With the rain pouring down on the PVR pitch, L’Ghoul took a snap shot from range that skipped off the soggy surface but Tokarczyk was equal to the effort and pushed it wide for a corner.

With the score level at half time, their was no let up in the rain as the Wings kicked towards the Park End. Early in the second half, McCallum headed a Jebb corner over the bar. But Chesham had a great chance shortly after as Jefferson Louis headed a Rolfe cross inches wide, with again Wilks only able to watch it. This missed opportunity again acted like a shot in the arm for Welling. On the hour mark McCallum came close with a clever hooked effort that almost crept in at the near post.

The Wings began to ramp up the pressure and a stunning cross from Nassim L’Ghoul was bravely met by Danny Mills and his header looked destined to get the striker off the mark, but Alex Tokarczyk made an exceptional save to deny him.

The Wings started to get a bit frustrated in their play and they had a few half chances with Zac Newton and Yannis Ambrosine both seeing efforts deflected for a corner.

With the game starting to drift towards its final quarter and a few Wings fans starting to make plans for a Tuesday night in Chesham, Welling won a free kick on the left touchline some 30 yards from goal. Jack Jebb produced a wonderful free kick into the area, where Gavin McCallum held his run until the final second and powerfully met the free kick with a bullet header that left Tokarczyk no chance as a sense of relief descended on Park View Road.

The goal knocked the stuffing out of Chesham who had played their part in this gritty if not vintage Cup tie. The Wings could have added to the score line late on as Thierry Audel headed straight at the keeper from a Jebb free kick, before Jack Jebb fired low at Tokarczyk.

The Wings survived almost seven minutes of injury time after only four minutes had been shown on the board and they take their place in Monday’s third Qualifying Round draw.

View the Match Centre here

Other Articles