Welling United 1-3 Weymouth

Weymouth heaped the relegation fears on Welling as they inflicted a 5th straight defeat on The Wings. It was an improved performance from Welling but they paid the price for individual errors.

Akinyemi had the first chance of the game with a snap shot straight at Childs. Weymouth should have taken the lead shortly after McQuoid firing over from close range after good work down the Welling right.

Wilks then saved comfortably from Baggie as Weymouth continued to come forward. Akinyemi saw a snap half volley that Childs saved well. The game then slightly tailed off until midway through the half when McCarthy sliced an effort well wide.

With half time approaching Henry drove into the box but hit an effort into the side netting. With the game drifting towards half time Weymouth took advantage of a defensive mistake to take the lead. Antony Cook looked to have made an interception to block a cross but his touch was a tad heavy allowing Baggie to nip in and slot pass Wilks.

The away side should have doubled their lead in first half stoppage time. Baggie skipped his way through the Welling defence before shooting only to hit Rich-Baghelou on the line.

Into the second half Cook hit an effort that was well saved by Childs before Jay Rich-Baghelou smashed an effort from range just wide.

However midway through the half Welling’s unproved performance was rewarded with a well worked equaliser. McCallum burst forward down the right squaring the ball for Cook who was on hand to side foot past Childs.

Perhaps thinking their was a game to be won, The Wings pressed the self destruct button as Captain Rob Swaine made a rash challenge in the box and a penalty was awarded. Despite going the right way Wilks could not keep our McQuoid’s penalty.

This goal knocked the stuffing out of any impetus Welling we’re building and they were restricted to half chances with Akinyemi curling an effort at Childs.

Wilks then had to be on top form to push a Baggie shot wide of the post.

Waldren then saw a header comfortably saved by Childs as Welling ran out of steam. The game was then put out of reach in the 5th minute of injury time as poor defending allowed in McCarthy who smashed an effort past Wilks. The defeat means The Wings are only out of the relegation spots on goal difference and go to league leaders Wealdstone next Saturday.

Attendance: 541

Other Articles

Dartford 4-0 Welling United