Welling United 1-1 Dulwich Hamlet

Both Welling and Dulwich will have to go through a further 90 minutes before booking their spot in the FA Trophy first round.

Wings boss King named the same side which overcame a resolute Weston-super-Mare side seven days earlier.

The match began and both sides felt their way into the game on a cold November afternoon, with Welling’s first chance coming as Brendan Kiernan poked over from a Montel Agyemang free-kick.

Minutes later Matt Paterson also tried his luck. Danny Mills made his presence felt in the box and got up to head a long ball back across goal for Paterson, who just couldn’t quite connect with the desired accuracy.

The Wings continued to probe and the next chance fell to Brendan Kiernan. The former Hampton man sent his curling effort slightly high and wide of the target before Thierry Audel headed over from a L’Ghoul corner.

The deadlock was broken in the 33rd minute in somewhat fortuitous fashion. L’Ghoul drove into the box and centred the ball, which then arrived at Nathan Green’s feet. The Dulwich man smashed his clearance against Matt Paterson and the ball looped past Preston Edwards to send the Wings in front.

A rare Dulwich attack saw Nyren Clunis get past Caden Genovesi before the QPR loanee seemingly execute a perfectly timed tackle, only for the assistant referee to award a penalty. Ashley Carew made no mistake from the spot and hammered the ball past Wilks to level the scores.

Carew almost sent his side into the lead in first half stoppage time, but his powerful 30-yard free-kick cannoned off the underside of the cross bar and was cleared.

The Wings huffed and puffed throughout the second half without really putting Hamlet keeper Edwards to work.

Montel Agymang saw a free-kick sail narrowly over before a L’Ghoul free-kick was deflected and saw the same fate.

Brendan Kiernan had the last real chance of the game, bursting through from the right flank but Edwards was alert to the danger and blocked the shot.

The Wings will visit Tooting & Mitcham’s Imperial Fields for the replay which will take place on Wednesday (29th) at 7:45.

WUFC: Wilks, McNamara, Genovesi, Ijaha, Audel, Ambroisine, Kiernan, Agyemang, Paterson, Mills, L’Ghoul (Marsh-Brown, 85).

Subs not used: Orlu, Goldberg, Mendy, Kissock.

DHFC: Edwards, Toure, Green, Carew, Okuonghae, Chambers, Clunis, Vose, Cook, Tomlin, Ming.

Subs not used: Akinyemi, Ferguson, May, Kargbo, Allen.

Attendance: 478.

Other Articles