Welling United 1-0 Maidstone United

Thirty years had past since Welling United and Maidstone United have competed in a league encounter and it was Welling United who came out victorious on Tuesday night.

Manager Mark Goldberg kept faith with the starting 11 who earned a point at Havant on Saturday.

In a cagey opening it took until the 9th minute for either side to have a sniff of goal. Bradley Goldberg almost breaking free but former Wings man Ryan Johnson made a super last ditch tackle to deny him.

The Wings went even closer in the 17th minute as Rooney played a clever ball that allowed Sanchez Ming to get in behind the Stones defence. With just Cole to beat, Ming perhaps took one touch to many and allowed Cole to make himself big and he saved with his legs.

The game then become fragmented with very little way in the way of chances. It wasn’t until the 36th minute when Jonny Edwards made some space for a shot but in doing so his shot was straight at Wilks.

As the game approached first half stoppage time Welling ended the half with a flurry of chances. Nathan Green whipped in a low ball into the Maidstone area that Ryan Johnson took a swipe at and sliced his clearance which luckily for him Cole was alert to and saved.

Superb play from Rich-Baghuelou as he sprayed a 30 yard pass out to Cosgrave who then in turn back heeled the ball into the path of Goldberg but his shot was deflected for a corner. From the corner taken by Nathan Green Swaine rose highest but headed wide.

If Welling ended the half strongly, it Maidstone who started the 2nd half strongest. Gavin Hoyte’s low cross caused havoc in the area and Iffy Allen looked to have a simple tap in but Sanchez Ming put his body on the line to make a great goal-line clearance.

This proved crucial as in the Fifty fifth minute Welling took the lead. The impressive Luke Rooney played a clever quick free kick that caught the Stones defence lapping and played in Aaron Cosgrave the new signing took a touch before drilling an effort low past Cole to open his Welling account.

Maidstone tried to regroup and Justin Amaluzor shot just wide from twenty-five yards out before a long free kick by Joe Anderson, found Swaine but Cole was able to gather.

Maidstone piled forward again and in the 72nd minute another goal line scramble prevented Maidstone equalising. Maidstone again came close when former Welling man Sam Corne, drove forward out of midfield but it hit an effort wide from range.

Welling almost put the game out of Maidstone’s reach when Cosgrave out-muscled Luke Pennell and from an almost identical spot from where he scored this time Cole made a fine stop getting down low to the effort.

Approaching injury time Nana Kyei went on a mazy run for The Stones beating four Welling players but his low shot from just outside the area was saved by Wilks. Wilks then claimed a dangerous cross into a crowded area as Welling claimed the three points and kick off the first home game of the season with a win.

The Wings are back at Park View Road on Saturday when they entertain Bath City at 15:00.

Attendance: 1,015

Other Articles