Welling United 0-4 Chelmsford City

For 44 minutes, Welling produced a display that would have pleased and given Wings fans belief going into the second half. But a penalty on the stroke of half time led to a 2nd half capitulation that would have left Welling Manager Bradley Quinton scratching his head for answers.

The Wings started ok despite Chelmsford having more of the ball, Dipo Akinyemi saw a near post drive pushed out by Lee Worgan before Rowan Liburd laid the ball off to Reuben Duncan but he curled his shot over

Alex Teniola headed wide shortly after for the visitors. A quick counter attack saw Liburd find Akinyemi he cut inside but his shot was straight at Worgan.

Welling looked to have claims for a penalty when Dan Boateng was seemingly pushed in the back and with the referee Joel Mannix appearing to go to blow his whistle he quickly changed his decision and waved played on. At the other end former Wings man Cameron James hit an effort wide.

James again tried his luck from range but was off target. Back came Welling and Akinyemi broke through down the left hand side but skewed his effort well wide.

Then came the game changing moment Phil Roberts nipped in on the blind side of Anthony Cook and the Wings skipper clipped the heels of Roberts and a penalty was given.

Teniola confidently dispatching the penalty to put City ahead on half time.

Into the Second half and City came out for better than Welling and they missed a glorious chance. Callum Harrison’s free kick picked out Elliott Ward who headed across goal and found central defensive partner Adebola Oluwo but with the goal at his mercy he blazed over.

City did double their lead shortly after despite Charles-Cook making a super initial save from Anthony Church, the Chelmsford midfielder was on hand to prod the rebound home.

Welling’s in ability in front of goal was evident again as Liburd did brilliantly to beat the offside trap and with juts Worgan to beat he could only shoot straight at the feet of the keeper.

Chelmsford then put the game out of reach as Anthony Church got his second and City’s third with a tap in from close range.

Liburd brought out another save fromWorgan before The Clarets added a fourth. Reice Cook playing a sloppy ball out of defence allowing Adam Liddle nip in and slot into an empty net.

Welling have a quick turn around with a visit to Concord Rangers on Tuesday night.

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Hobbs, Green, Duncan (Headley 55), Boateng, Olagunju, Cook, Blackman, Akinyemi (Ward-Cochrane 66), Liburd, Ainsworth (Ilic 55). Subs not used: Shokunbi, Ryan.

Other Articles