Welling United 0-3 Billericay Town

The Wings lost to big spending Billericay Town on Tuesday night, the scoreline failing to reflect the story of the whole game. However the visitors experience and quality in the vital moments of the match told.

The Wings took the game to Billericay and started brightly John Paul Kissock was crudely fouled on the edge of the area, Jack Jebb took the free kick but Louis Well did well to push his effort wide around the post.

Welling won another free kick just three minutes later in the 6th minute Brendan Kiernan this time ended up on the deck after a mazy run. Jack Jebb’s free kick seemed to be heading in with Wells grasping thin air but his effort cannoned back off the post. Danny Mills looked certain to head home the rebound but he could only steer his header over the bar.

The away side had an opening after ten minutes Jake Robinson got behind the Welling back four but he could only side foot his volley wide.

But back came Welling and Brendan Kiernan who was at the heart of all the good Welling moves forced Wells into a smart save pushing his drive over the bar. From the resulting corner Orlu rose highest but could only direct his header wide.

But the away side who had been pinned back for long periods of the opening 25 minutes, made Welling pay for not taking their chances. Sam Deering was fouled in the box and a penalty was awarded. Former Wings man Adam Coombes calmy tucked the penalty away to punish Welling.

Shell shocked by going behind Welling tried to rally and Gibbons produced a deep cross which was met by Danny Mills but he could only head into the side netting.

Welling produced a superb move which resulted in Goldberg smacking the ball against the bar, the linesman flag was raised so would not have counted but it was a superb piece of football from a Welling side who some how found themselves behind at the break.

The Wings picked up from where they left off at the start of the second half and Brendan Kiernan showed some superb trickery to work his way into the box but his low cross which was begging to be tapped in failed to find a red shirt and was cleared. Jack Jebb then won the ball in a dangerous position and he crossed for Mills but he could only head over.

These missed opportunities again came back to haunt Welling as the away side doubled their advantage in the 52nd minute. Sam Deering’s curling free kick was glanced home by Simon Walton past Wiiks as the visitors proved so clinical in front of goal when opportunities presented themselves.

The game was put beyond Welling on the hour mark Joseph Kizzi sent a superb ball over the top that split the Welling defence, Wilks came to claim the ball but striker Jake Robinson read the flight of the ball perfectly and his outstretched leg diverted the ball past Wilks for a super finish.
Welling tried to get back into the game but the away side were happy to sit back and soak up the Welling pressure, Jebb had the final chance of the night but his snap shot was pushed away by Wells.

But it was Billericay who took the points as they capitalised on the few openings that came their way. The Wings will look to get back on track when they visit Truro at Torquay United’s Plainmoor ground on Saturday.

View the Match Centre here

Other Articles