Welling United 0-0 Eastbourne Borough

Welling played out a goalless draw with Eastbourne Borough on Tuesday night. In a game Welling had the lion share of possession in the in the first half, Eastbourne had the better of the second half and could have nearly taken all three points with some sharper shooting.

Welling looking to respond to a below par performance on Saturday in defeat at Concord made no fewer than six changes to their starting eleven and the new look side started well looking energetic and lively. In the opening minutes Nathan Green lost his marker from a corner but could only head wide when he looked certain to score.

Antony Cook then curled a low free kick just wide as Welling continued to press. Eastbourne weathered the storm somewhat and Greg Leur skimmed a header just wide from a dangerous cross. A clever quickly taken corner allowed, Luke Rooney a shooting opportunity but his effort was bravely blocked for a corner, from which Josh Oyinsan headed over. Former Welling loanee Elliot Romain produced a nice cross low into the area which Wilks did well to smoother. Josh Oyinsan having his first start in a Wings shirt was proving a handful and a Cosgrave cross field pass was well controlled by the striker but his effort was blocked for a corner. Welling almost opened the scoring right on half time in fortuitous circumstances when Noiti slashed a clearance which almost nestled in the bottom corner but instead just went wide of the post. With Welling on top going into the second half, The Wings failed to build on this and instead it was Eastbourne who started the brighter and carried this through the half. Romain having the first chance of the half but his snap shot went just wide. Welling almost capitalised on a poor clearance from goal keeper Tom Hadler and the ball fell kindly to Nathan Green but his effort beat Hadler but went agonisingly wide of the post.
A counter attack from Eastbourne found Ferry in space but as he cut in to shoot his effort was well saved by Wilks.

A long ball over the top gave Romain a chance to run onto the ball but he hit has half volley over. With 15 minutes remaining Eastbourne should have taken the lead as The Sports attacked in numbers the ball was crossed into Ferry but from six yards out he put the ball wide.

With the game drifting into final five minutes, Borough again came close, this time is was Charlie Walker who was well placed but shot straight at Wilks.

With 4 minutes of added time played both sides settled for a point.

Welling now face a long trip to Weymouth on Saturday before facing league leaders Wealdstone on Saturday 14th September at PVR.

Attendance: 412



Other Articles

Young Wings at PVR