Wealdstone FC 1-3 Welling United

With no less than 6 senior players missing through injuries and suspension Welling and their depleted squad of just 14 players produced arguably the performance of the season to inflict not only the first defeat of 2019 on Wealdstone but their first in 11 games.

It wasn’t just the manner of the result but the performance that was so impressive with Manager Steve King getting the very best out of each player in this threadbare squad.

Welling started brightly and Brendan Kiernan blazed a shot over within the first 30 seconds. Wealdstone then saw Danny Green likewise hit an effort over the bar as both sides worked their way into the game.

Welling suffered a blow in the 6th minute when Julian Anau limped off injured after picking up an injury in the warm up which he failed to shake off. Zac Newton replaced him as he moved upfront with Thierry Audel moving into the midfield.

Wealdstone took the lead from the penalty spot on the quarter hour mark. A fierce shot from Allarakihia was adjudged to have hit the arm of a Wings defender, referee Massey-Ellis initially waved away appeals only for assistant referee Aurel Onita to signal for a penalty with his flag. Danny Green stepped up and sent Dan Wilks the wrong way to give the hosts the lead.

Any worries Wings fans had that this supposedly weaker Welling side would roll over were misguided as they came back at Wealdstone. Montel Agyemang curling an effort from range which beat keeper Jonathan North but not the crossbar as the ball smashed the frame and was cleared to safety.

Welling who brought Caden Genovsei back into the squad this week, saw the QPR loanee block a shot on the goal line from Danny Green after a flowing Wealdstone attack.

Wealdstone were on top at this point and perhaps sensed a 2nd. Mensah seeing his point blank header cleared off the line as well. Allarakhia then picked up the ball up on the half way line his run taking him into the box but he just fired wide.

But Welling stood firm against the passage of Wealdstone play and enjoyed some possession of their own. Gavin McCallum controlling a ball I got the area before turning and shooting just wide.

The Wings had a glorious chance shortly after Newton did ever so well to make space for a low cross-shot which Goldberg just failed to poke home.

However Welling equalised in the 31st minute, Goldberg breaking into the area before squaring for Kiernan, his initial effort was saved by the feet of North, but the rebound smashed off the helpless Freddie Grant who was running back and into his own net.

Dan Wilks had to be at his best to save a Stefan Brown low shot before Wilks again saved well from a Danny Green volley as the sides went in at the break all square.

Just 5 minutes had past in the 2nd half when Welling went ahead, Newton showed good trickery in the box to poke the ball through to Bradley Goldberg the striker took a touch before emphatically smashing the ball into the bottom

A stunned home side tried to recover as Freddie Grant headed a deep cross that stood up in the strong cross wind.

Welling were now looking to hit the Stones on the counter attack. Newton picked the ball up inside his own half before playing it to Kiernan but his cross in the area was to heavy for Braham-Barrett at the back post.

Welling should have gone further ahead on the hour mark, Brendan Kiernan heading straight at North from close range.

Wealdstone then had a big chance of their own, David Pratt rising well but heading over from
just inside the six yard box with Wilks beaten.

With the game drawing to its final
quarter Antony Acheampong came inches from extending The Wings lead. His looping header hitting the post and coming back out, the loose ball eventually being hacked clear.

Wealdstone then hit the bar themselves as Freddie Grant headed a Danny Green free kick against the frame of the goal.

With the game drawing to its conclusion Zac Newton did well to turn and just shoot wide from close range.

Wilks was then alert to save a teasing cross in time added on and it proved vital as Welling went up the other end and sealed the points in the final minute of stoppage time.

Newton picked up the ball in the area before being tackled but the loose ball was poked through to Brendan Kiernan who dinked the ball over the advancing North to send the travelling Wings fan wild. It was no more than the performance deserved as the win moved Welling up to 3rd in the table. 2nd place Woking visit Park View Road next Saturday in a mouth watering clash.

View the Match Centre here

Other Articles

WUFC Community Day