Sheppey United 2-0 Welling United

Welling United got the delayed 2020/21 season off to the worst possible start by bowing out of The Emirates FA Cup at Sheppey United. Whilst Sheppey have had the benefit of having played 8 games this season this was a new look Wings side first competitive game and the match sharpness certainly told.

Despite the result The Wings started brightly and hit the post twice within the opening five minutes. Dipo Akyinyemi first making suave for a shot that cannoned off the inside of the post and was gathered by Sheppey keeper Adam Molloy. Akinyemi then glanced a header that Molloy pushed against the post and grabbed the rebound before the follow up could be put away.

Once the home side saw out the initial pressure they started to create attacks themselves and from their first corner they went ahead. A corner into the six yard box fell nicely for who Howlet-Mundle who tapped home past Dan Wilks

The Wings tried to respond and Nathan Green saw a shot saved by Molloy. Sheppey though were having joy down the flanks and Leonard was played in but Wilks stood tall and saved well. Leonard got in again in a mirrored move but this time he curled wide with Wilks beaten.

Some nice link up play by Welling in the Sheppey area resulted with the ball being played to Agyemang but he blazed over. The former Hemel man Jack Midson glanced a header over from close range just on the half hour mark.

Akinyemi did well with some clever footwork in the area but lacked composure and blazed over. With the half drawing to a close Sheppey somehow failed to double their lead. Catching Welling on the counter attack a flowing move looked certain to be slotted home only for a superb goal line clearance by Beehan denied the home side.

Into the second half Wilks had to be alert to save with his legs. On the hour mark Dipo Akinyemi poked wide into the side netting after creating space for a shot.

Wilks then done well to tip a shot over the bar as again Sheppey looked to catch The Wings on the counter attack. With the game into the 70th minute a last ditch block from The Wings resulted in a corner to Sheppey. From the resulting corner Sheppey doubled the lead in a carbon copy goal to the first. A corner was met in the six yard box by the unmarked Danny Devine who slotted home.

The Wings tried to rally and had a goal chalked off Kaleem Simons adjudged to have been offside when putting the ball over the line. Sub Rowan Liburd brought a smart save out of Adam Molloy from close range. A cross into the area caused The Wings more problems but Wilks saved well. Wilks then saved well late on as the home side ran out winners.

Welling only have a few days to lick there wounds and regroup before they start the behind closed doors league campaign at Kent Neighbours Maidstone United.

Other Articles