Oxford City 0-0 Welling United

Despite dropping to the bottom of the table, Welling produced a fine display to pick up a point against a progressive Oxford City team and on another day could have come home with the three points.

Nearly a month without football due to isolating, Welling introduced new signings into their squad and they immediately gave impressive performances.

The game was only a minute old when Welling came close to going ahead. The away side won a free kick on the edge of the area and Della-Verde tried to sneak a low free kick around the wall but Dudzinski in the City goal was equal to it, to push it for a corner.

Oxford slowly came into the game and some good defending from The Wings prevented a dangerous shooting opportunity, before Cook was able to save well from McEachran.

Shokunbi then blazed over for Welling as the game started to open up with chances for both sides. Just before the half hour mark, Welling thought they had taken the lead, great play between Della-Verde and Taylor saw the on loan Cray man get in on goal and poked the ball past Dudzinski only to see Aaron Drewe some how clear the ball off of the line.

It was then the turn of Oxford to come close as Roberts cannoed an effort off of the crossbar from a free kick with Cook rooted to the spot.

Early into the second half and Kaleem Simons could only half volley straight at Dudzinski from a good position.

Welling again had another good chance as Taylor powered forward to play in Della-Verde but his composure just failed him and he blazed over.

Roberts who was always lively for City then had an effort deflected for a corner and from the corner the same player shot over from the edge of the area. Back came Welling in this end to end clash and Della-Verde drilled a low effort just wide.

On the hour mark, Welling again had an effort cleared off the line. This time Strachan poking the ball goalwards from a corner but it was hacked away to safety. Oxford then had a ten minute spell where they got on top and came close on a few occasions, Benyon meeting a header but just directing his header inches wide, before Roberts had two efforts deflected after some resolute defending.

Welling had penalty appeals waved away as Drewe blocked an effort from Taylor with The Wings players feeling it was with his hand but after consulting with the linesman just a corner was given.

With the game drifting towards to a draw, Welling almost won it, great play in the area saw the ball played to Taylor and from close range keeper Dudzinski pulled a sensational low save to deny Welling. It was a hard fought point as the Wings returned to action and they will now look build on this point with two home games in the next 7 days.

Other Articles

Four in at PVR