Maidstone United 2-1 Welling United

Despite it being a better performance than than the one that saw The Wings crash out of the FA Cup on Saturday. Welling’s defensive frailties were exposed again as Maidstone turned around a half time deficit to beat The Wings in this season opener.

The Wings opened the scoring in the sixth minute Lionel Ainsworth cutting inside before unleashing an effort that Chris Lewington could only parry to Stefan Illic who headed home from close range.
Sam Corne nearly levelled for the home side a cross intro the area was headed into his path but Wings keeper Reise Charles-Cook made an outstanding low save pushing it away for a corner.
Cook’s long goal kick then found Rowan Liburd but with his back to goal he flicked the ball over the bar.
Charlie Seaman brought out another great save in Wings debutant keeper Charles-Cook as he pushed away his 25-yard free-kick.

Into the second half Scott Rendell just failed to connect with a Seaman cross before Charlie Seaman saw a free kick deflect off the Welling wall and go inches wide.

Maidstone did get the equaliser though just after the hour Mark. Richie Danquah seemed to be in control of a long ball but his back pass to Cook sold The Wings keeper short, allowing Rendell in to clip the ball over Cook and into the net.

Welling had appeals for a penalty waved away when Khaleem Simons went down under a challenge from last man Joe Ellul after he had burst clear. Those appeals were waved away by referee Jason Richardson.

Maidstone looked to have missed a golden opportunity when Corne took the ball off George Porter’s toe with Porter in a far better position.

The impressive Wings keeper Charles-Cook made another save racing off his line to thwart Seaman

With a valuable point in sight for Welling Maidstone broke their hearts with a winner in the 85th minute. Arguably Maidstone’s best player Seaman showed more strength and desire holding of the challenge of three Welling players before cutting inside and unleashing a low effort past Cook.

The Wings now have an enforced ten day break before they head on the road again to face Slough Town.


Other Articles