Hungerford Town 1-2 Welling United

Welling United produced a battling display to deservedly record their first away win of the season against Hungerford Town.

Full of confidence from last weekends FA Cup success The Wings started well, Adam Coombes having the first attempt with a free kick that Hungerford keeper Adam Siviter did well to save as the ball skipped off the greasy surface.

Danny Waldren who has slotted back into the middle of the Welling midfield like he’s never been away created the next chance a clever ball was played into the area where Coombes struck a first time effort that went just wide.

Welling thought they had taken the lead shortly after Anthony Cook produced a deep cross that Coombes headed beyond Siviter but his celebration was cut short as the linesman flag was raised for offside.

Coombes was at the heart of all The Wings attacks and he went close with a shot that flashed just wide.

Perhaps sensing they had survived the Welling on slaught Hungerford ventured forward new signing Yan Klukowski shot wide after a he picked up a loose ball from a deep free kick.

Rob Swaine then went close for The Wings but Joe Tomlinson was on hand to head the goal bound Swaine header off the line.

Dan Wilks saved well from a long shot by Akers before Welling poured forward again, Cook & Coombes combined well again this time Coombes heading a Cook cross over.

Bradley Goldberg saw a shot saved after good work from Coombes, but just as it seemed Welling would go into half time unrewarded for their efforts they scored in the third minute of injury time. Danny Waldren burst forward playing a sublime one-two with Coombes before firing beyond the keeper into the bottom corner to give Welling a deserved half time lead.

Early in the second half a good move saw Cook with a sight of goal but his effort lacked power and was saved by Siviter.

On loan Bristol Rovers man Widdrington again impressed and he went close as he shot just over. Goldberg‘s mazy run then saw him make space for a shot but his effort was saved.

Hungerford once again like the first half weathered the sustained Wings pressure and grew into the game Matt Jones hit a hopeful effort from range well wide before Tomlinson brought a fine save out of Dan Wilks.

However Welling scored the important second with twelve minutes left. The lively Cook burst away down the slope on the counter attack before playing a smart reverse pass with Coombes which allowed Cook to collect the pass from Coombes before finishing off the move with a great finish across the keeper.

Throwing caution to the wind Hungerford grabbed a last minute consolation, a breakdown in communication between Wilks and Ejiro Okosieme allowed James Rusby to tap home. But it mattered little as the referee blew for full time shortly after the restart as Welling claimed a deserved three points on the road.

The Wings now return to Park View Road in the FA Cup and the huge encounter with Devon based side AFC Tavistock on Saturday kick off 3pm.

Welling United: Wilks, Dymond, Anderson, Widdrington, Swaine, Okosieme, Cook, Waldren, Goldberg (Jebb 74), Coombes, McCallum (Green 41). Subs not used: Agyemang, Rooney, Cosgrave

Attendance 284

Other Articles

League rebrands to Manarama