Hemel Hempstead 1-2 Welling United

A week is a long time in football and after the disappointing result at home to Chelmsford last Saturday, The Wings backed their point up at Concord Rangers on Tuesday by recording their 1st win of the season at Hemel Hempstead.

It was the home side, who started brightly and a dangerous ball into the Welling box was met on the volley by Duke-McKenna but he failed to keep his effort down.

Duke-McKenna was in the thick of the action once again but this time his long range effort zipped off the wet pitch which R. Cook did well to hold.

Rowan Liburd headed wide for Welling before Lyle Della-Verde hit an audacious effort as he tried to catch Danny Bonnes off his line but the ball flew just over as The Wings slowly came into the game.

Hemel missed another good opportunity shortly after, a good move resulted in Duke-McKenna delivering a superb cross which was met by Reggie Young but he put his effort over the bar much to the relief of The Wings.

McDevitt forced a good save out of R.Cook, after a free kick dropped kindly to the Hemel centre back.

Having survived the set of attacks, Welling won a free kick on the edge of the area. Cook brought a great save out of Bonnes, who pushed away for a corner. From the corner, in the second phase Welling took the lead. A cross into the Hemel box was not dealt with and the ball fell kindly to Ade Shokunbi who slotted home from close range.

Just as they started the half, Hemel finished the half on top as well. Chris Paul forcing R.Cook into a smart save from a free kick on the edge of the area. R. Cook was forced into one last save again as Matt Bateman hit a fierce effort that The Wings number 1 saved well.

Into the Second half and a strong start for the home side this time went rewarded as they equalised in the 51st minute albeit in fortuitous circumstances. A cross from the Hemel right, inadvertently hit Huddersfield loanee Mustapha Olagunju and went in.

Welling though responded well and a last ditch tackle, denied Lexus Beeden as the Wings defender hit a goal bound effort that was bravely blocked.

The away side did retake the lead in the 56th minute. Rowan Liburd held the ball up to bring Lyle Della-Verde into play, looking up Della-Verde curled an effort over Bonnes and into the top corner from 20 yards.

With the rain relentless, the game was devoid of many goal scoring opportunities after that, Scott-Morris hitting an effort over the bar from range. Della-Verde then connecting with a Green cross but he was unable to keep his volley down.

With the game in its final stages, Hemel won a free kick on the edge of the Welling area, but Jake Evans blazed his effort over the bar. Welling were able to see the game out well to secure their first three points of the season.

The Wings now have 3 consecutive home games in a row beginning with Billericay Town on Tuesday night.

Other Articles

Wings youth player joins Spurs
Academy Keeper makes Gills move