Torquay United vs Welling United


Vanarama National League South 2018/19

PlainmoorWestlands Ln, Torquay TQ1 3HA, UK

Torquay United
Welling United
Park View Road
3 - 1
Final Score

Torquay United

3 3

Welling United



Date Time League Season Attendance
8th December 2018 3:00 pm Vanarama National League South 2018/19 2460


Torquay United run out deserved winners in this battle of the top two at a soaking Plainmoor.

The Wings losing their first Saturday league fixture of the season battled right to the very end but a clinical Torquay showed why the full time outfit are many pundits tip to make a quick return to the National League with a dominate display.

It took Torquay just 3 minutes to open the scoring, Jack Andrews played a neat one-two before unleashing a daisy cutter of an effort from 25 yards which zipped of the wet surface and beat Dan Wilks.

It was just the start Welling didn’t need, they tried to regroup and L’Ghoul saw a low free kick easily gathered by McDonald. However on the quarter hour mark, the Wings found themselves two behind. Jamie Reid played a defence splitting pass that sent Janneh through on goal and the in form striker curled a great effort past Wilks as Welling could not live with the frenetic start from the full time hosts.

With 20 minutes gone, The Wings almost got back into the game but a goalmouth scramble resulted with the ball hitting the outside of the post.

The game was becoming a scrappy affair with the wet conditions proving awkward for both sides. Janneh heading a deep free kick straight at Wilks.

On the half hour mark, Goldberg hit a snap shot at the keeper as Wings tried to find a way back into the game.

Torquay should have been out of sight in the 38th minute, the ball being squared back to Reid who looked certain to score but he shot straight at Wilks.

Torquay were finishing the half strongly and Keating was sent clear before cutting the ball back to Andrews who curled just wide.

Into the 2nd half and Goldberg broke free but Cameron was quick to get across and stop Goldberg getting his shot away.

It proved decisive as Torquay effectively wrapped the game up in the 54th minute. A deep free kick was only half cleared to Janneh, his shot was saved but Niate was on hand to dink home the rebound.

However in the 59th minute, Welling won a penalty, Mills was brought down by keeper McDonald who picked up a yellow card and Goldberg stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way. The keeper then kicked the ball away in frustration, lucky not to be given a second yellow card and a red.

However Torquay still looked really lively upfront and Jamie Reid breezed past the Wings defence, but Wilks produced a great save.

With the state of the pitch catching up with a lot of the players the tempo of the game changed and chances became few and far between. Kalala, playing a ball into Reid but The Wings backline did well to block his shot

Janneh was then played in on goal but he shot straight at Wilks as Torquay looked likely to add to their tally. Gavin McCallum saw a free kick saved by McDonald as the away side tried to get back into the game.

One last chance fell to the home side as Lemonheigh-Evans beat two players in the are before shooting at Wilks.

However Torquay saw out the game to go five points clear of Welling as The Wings were left to reflect on this defeat to a good strong side.

[envira-gallery id=”4344″]



Westlands Ln, Torquay TQ1 3HA, UK