Bath City vs Welling United


Vanarama National League South 2018/19

Twerton Park98 Freeview Rd, Bath BA2 1DZ, UK

Bath City
Welling United
Park View Road
0 - 2
Final Score

Bath City

Welling United



Date Time League Season Attendance
29th September 2018 3:00 pm Vanarama National League South 2018/19 1585


Welling played the role of party poopers at Bath City on Saturday. On what was billed as community fun day at Twerton Park where a bumper crowd could pay what they wanted to attend, the Wings produced a fine away display that was full of grit and determination and saw them deservedly take the three points back to DA16.

Welling started brightly and within the first minute L’Ghoul found himself bursting into the area, but keeper Ryan Clarke did well to save with his feet.

It was The Wings who were having the lions share of possession but it was not until the 20th minute that they would have another attempt on goal. A cross into the Bath box from Jebb was half cleared to Braham-Barrett who from the edge of the area, had his effort deflected wide for a corner. It had been a quiet start from Bath but they had their first shot in the 22nd minute. Right back Joe Haynes shooting from range that Dan Wilks saved well.

Just three minutes later however Welling took the lead in the 25th minute. A long free kick out of the Wings defence was flicked on by the towering Danny Mills, the ball looked destined to be collected by Keeper Ryan Clarke but he seemed to hesitate and this allowed a determined Gavin McCallum to nip in and hook the ball past Clarke and into the net for an opportunist goal.

Welling were in the ascendancy and Gavin McCallum made a great run into the area before dragging an effort just wide of the near post. Shortly after a deep free kick into the Welling box was met by Jack Batten but Wilks was equal to the header.

McCallum was having a lively game and again he went on mazy run that caused panic with the Bath backline his effort this time being deflected wide for a corner. But it was Welling who went in ahead at the break.

Just five minutes into the second half, McCallum went down injured and had to be replaced by Julien Anau. The game was void of chances for the next twenty minutes as whilst Bath saw more of the ball, Welling hassled and harassed their opponents not letting them to create chances. It took until the 70th minute that Ross Stearn hit an audacious effort over the bar as Bath looked frustrated.

The Welling midfield were having a great game and Kissock done very well to dispossess the ball and set up a counter, he played it to Jebb who surged forward before slipping in the overlapping L’Ghoul but his effort hit the outside of the post.

This marked a period of the game where it opened up and Bath had a glorious chance. Ross Stearn took advantage of a slip from James Hurst, but Wilks stood firm and saved well.

In the 77th minute Bath had their best opportunity of the match, John Mills was played clear, but Mendy who was exceptional all game, made an outstanding tackle to prevent him, the ball came loose across the goal, it looked for the world that Bath would put the loose ball home but a combination of superb defending and excellent goalkeeping denied them.

It was the turning point of the game as just 4 minutes later, Welling went and double the lead and won the game in the 81st minute. Superb patient play from Welling resulted in Jack Jebb curling a marvellous ball into the area that bamboozled the Bath defence and left keeper Ryan Clarke stranded. Danny Mills took full advantage by taking a sublime touch to round the keeper and poke the ball home into the empty net for his first goal of the season. Fully deserved for his efforts this season.

The Wings saw the game out with out harm as they finished the month of September undefeated. They now face a massive FA Cup tie away at Hereford FC next Saturday.

[envira-gallery id=”3800″]


Twerton Park

98 Freeview Rd, Bath BA2 1DZ, UK