Chelmsford City 1-1 Welling United

Welling had victory snatched away from them after conceding an equaliser in the 90th minute at a sweltering Melbourne Stadium.  Having gone ahead in the 84th minute Wings Manager Mark Goldberg was disappointed not to come away with all three points but it certainly was a positive performance from his Wings side.

The Wings had the first chance of the game as McCallum chested a cross that came into the box but fired straight at Pentney. Muldoon then produced a really dangerous cross which was fired across the Welling box but evaded everyone.
Bradley Goldberg was then taken down outside of the box by Fraser Shaw, Adam Coombes stepped up for the  free kick and his effort took a deflection off of the wall and left Pentney stranded but the ball went just over.
Goldberg then had an effort which looked to be heading in blocked by a hand but the referee waved away the appeals. A big talking point came in the 18th minute when Dan Wilks was adjudged to have handled the ball outside the area. With the home side wanting a red, Wilks was shown a yellow. From the free kick Higgins took a fierce low effort that Wilks saved well.
Muldoon was causing The Wings problem and he cut inside before firing the ball over the bar. Wilks then did well to flick a header from Loza over the bar.
Welling then lost Conor Dymond to a shoulder injury and he was replaced by Reece Prestedge who was making his first appearance for Welling. Wilks denying Whelpdale tipping his effort around the post.
Into the 2nd half and brilliant skill from Giles saw him beat three Wings players before firing just over. Welling then had the best chance of the game, Ming did brilliantly with a lung busting run down the right before squaring to Adam Coombes, the Wings man took a touch before firing which hit Peteney in the head which the keeper knew nothing about and went over. Peteney then saved well from Coombes at his near post after a cute pass from McCallum set him free.
Anthony Church then went close for the home city but he headed just wide. But The Wings surged forward and a flowing move involving Anderson and Goldberg set up Coombes who from 25 yards hit a ferocious effort that beat the keeper but not the bar as it  smacked the upright and went behind for a goal kick.
Welling were on top and sub Cosgrave had a golden chance a mis clearance fell kindly to him and as he bared down on goal he went low but Peteney stood firm and produced a smart save. This seemed to surge City into life and they went close twice shortly after. First Wilks produced a stunning save from Jeffers tipping his header over the bar, before Church missed with a header at the back post. The home side came even closer in the 80th minute with a header from Church skimming the bar with a header from a floated free kick into the box.
With time ticking down it was Welling who took the lead in the 84th minute with a classic counter attack. Nathan Green stoke the ball and burst forward he laid the ball to Goldberg and he took a touch before finishing low past Peteney for a well taken goal to put Welling ahead.
City came forward looking for a response but Issac drilled wide from range. Just as it looked as Welling had picked up an impressive three points a lack of concentration in the Wings back line allowed Shaun Jeffers time to poke the ball under Wilks to bring the game level as both sides settled for a point a piece.
Despite the last minute disappointment it was a positive display and The Wings return to Park View Road as Tonbridge Angels are the visitors on Bank Holiday Monday. Kick off 3pm.

Other Articles