Chelmsford City 0-0 Welling United

Welling secured a well earnt point at Chelmsford City in a hard fought battle on Saturday. It was not a game for the purists with both sides set up to perhaps negate one another, but never the less the point will still be welcomed by The Wings.

After a foul on Danny Mills in just the 2nd minute a clever free kick between Jack Jebb and Brendan Kiernan saw the ball whipped into the area where last week’s goal hero Anthony Acheampong just failed to connect with the ball at the back post.

In the 5th minute a lovely flowing move down the Chelmsford left saw Charles Banya play in Kiernan, but his low cross evaded everyone in the crowded area and went for a out for a throw in.

The game had an open feel to it and after Welling had broke at speed resulting in Kiernan having a shot straight at McDonald. The keeper launched the ball forward catching Welling cold and Fenwick brought out a fine save by Wilks.

A simple long ball over the Welling top caught out the Wings back line, Tom Wraight latched onto the ball and with Wilks advancing, Wraight looped the ball over Wilks but the wrong side of the post.

Chelmsford went close again just on the quarter hour mark, Tom Wraight got in behind the Welling defence but dragged his effort wide.

In the 23rd minute Welling won a free kick in a dangerous position, Jebb swung in a glorious delivery where Kiernan was on hand but he headed wide when well placed.

Another sublime free kick in the 33rd minute from Jebb went into the area and was begging to be tapped home but again the delivery almost proved to good and evaded everyone.

Wilks then had to be on top form saving from a point blank header at the back post from Church, as the game ebbed and flowed with out anyone side having any real dominance.

With half time approaching this was again evident as their was still time for both sides to have chances. First Nassim L’Ghoul blazed over from the edge of the area after a corner was only half cleared to him. Then on the stroke of half time, City’s Murphy brought out a save from Wilks who had to gather the ball at the 2nd attempt. But it was stalemate at half time.

The 2nd half was just seconds old when Welling had a big penalty appeal turned down. Omouzsi clattering Banya in the area but despite the strong appeals the referee waved away them away.

After this the 2nd half had a period of sloppy play from both sides with over hit passes and bitty fouls perhaps not surprising given the nature of the tight game. Chelmsford had a penalty appeal waved away of their own in the 65th minute when Batt went down but the referee again waved away the appeals.

Shortly after Joe Anderson blazed an effort over from range after a dubious corner fell kindly to him on the edge of the area. The Wings would have certainly felt aggrieved had that effort gone in.

The Wings always looked dangerous from a set piece and Audel almost got on the end of a Jebb corner but Spillane did well to block his volley at the near post. Shortly after however the best chance of the game fell to Wings skipper David Ijha with 15 minutes to go.

A ball into the area caused chaos the loose ball dropped kindly to Ijaha but the skipper just failed to keep his half volley down and flashed his effort inches over.

To their credit Welling were not settling for the point and went in search of a winner, McCallum dragging a hit and hope effort wide. In the 89th minute a super cross into the area from Sub Quebe was met by Ijaha but again he failed to keep his effort down as he headed over.

With the game now heading for the draw, Chelmsford were reduced to ten men after Shaun Batt produced an awful tackle on Charles Banya and received his 2nd yellow’ it was a tackle that could have easily resulted in a straight red.

That proved to be the last action in a match that resulted in two evenly matched sides cancelling each other out. Welling returned to Kent with a point that keeps them in the play off positions.

View the Match Centre here

Other Articles