Whitehawk 2-1 Welling United

Welling slumped to a bad defeat against relegation strugglers Whitehawk to leave their play offs aspirations in tatters and hanging by the tiniest of threads.

Coming into this crucial game both teams had something to play for, but in truth only one team wanted to play for it.

Just 2 minutes were on the clock when Welling almost grabbed the lead. Jack Jebb slipped a clever ball into Durojaiye but his first time effort was well saved by Wilks.

Whitehawk soon came into the game and Bailey Vose had to be out smart to smoother the ball from the advancing Lloyd Macklin.

With 8 minutes gone, referee James Durkin made a big call. Jack Jebb got on the end of a long ball, this ball tempted Wilks out of his goal and the area. Jebb went to lob the advancing keeper but Wilks appeared to handle the effort but referee Durkin waved away the strong appeals.

In a lively start, Whitehawk missed a glorious chance as Macklin almost took advantage of some sloppy defending but he shot wide in the box.

A frenetic opening quarter was summed up in one moment, at one end Philpot went close but his goal bound lob went just wide of the post. Whitehawk then broke straight away and Mendy missed a glorious chance shooting straight at Vose.

However in the 18th minute Whitehawk took the lead. Welling showed their defensive frailties as L’Gual was allowed to ghost into the area to cross for former Welling player Lloyd Macklin to simply slot past Vose, a feat he never achieved when in a Welling shirt earlier in the season.

This goal rocked Welling and L’Ghoul was causing Welling all sorts of problems, he almost made it 2, but flashed his effort just wide.

Healy almost dug an equaliser out for Welling but he struck his fiercely struck volley straight at Wilks in the 27th minute.

Welling were being restricted to half chances and Dymond shot an effort straight at Wilks after a clever lay off from Durojaiye.

The game quietened down until the the 43rd minute, when Whitehawk were reduced to 10 men.

Gold Otomayo was adjudged to have stamped on Connor Dymond by referee James Durkin and was shown a straight red card.

With Welling heading into the 2nd half with a numerical advantage player wise they needed a good start and they got just.

In the 48th minute a Jack Jebb free kick was only half cleared by keeper Wilks and his punch found Olu Durojaiye who smashed the ball home on the half volley from the edge of the area.

But any Wings fans hoping Welling would go on and stamp their mark on the game were to be disappointed. The game ebbed and flowed for a long period without any side really being able to create a clear chance.

As the game drifted on Welling started to create more clear cut chances. Jebb curled a tame effort straight at Wilks. However the game changed when Tom Bradbrook missed the chance of the game.
Goldberg cut the ball back to Bradbrook and with the goal at his mercy, the striker scuffed his effort wide, it was a glorious chance that went begging.

That chance proved even more costly just three minutes later. In the 73rd minute not for the first time this season, Welling failed to defend a deep corner which was met at the back post by Elliot Benyon who scored with his first touch to send the noisy Whitehawk fans delirious.

It almost got worse for Welling as Pinney burst down on goal but Vose saved well with his feet. With the game drifting away from a lacklustre Welling, Bradbrook headed wide at the back post, however the linesman flag would have ruled the goal out.

Welling’s afternoon was summed up in the last minute of injury time as Tom Bradbrook was shown a straight red card for a crude challenge on L’Ghoul.

The result now leaves Welling with a huge uphill task to reach the play offs.

Welling return to PVR for the penultimate home game of the season against Weston Super Mare next Saturday.


Attendance: 294


Start a Conversation