Whitehawk 1-0 Welling United

Having produced an encouraging performance in midweek, Welling took two steps backwards with a lacklustre display as Whitehawk made it three victories from three games this season against The Wings. It was in turn 3 games without a goal for Welling on an afternoon were they rarely tested home keeper Lucas Covolan.

To Welling’s credit they actually started well. Danny Waldren heading a corner just wide at the back post.

Michael Thalassitis was next to go close but again he header wide from a corner.

The home side were not without there own chances and Sergio Torres should have scored when shooting straight at Chris Lewington after the ball had been expertly cut back to him.

Sub Alex Cathline who came on for the injured Jamie Slabber almost made an immediate impact. He got in front of his man and put his glancing header from a Karagiannis cross agangs the crossbar.

Ali Fuseini could have done better but he fluffed his lines when well placed.

For all Welling’s poession none of the efforts were forcing Lucas Covolan into making a save.

Jordan Brown Who was arguably The Wings stand out performer in the 1st half stood a deep cross to the back post but Waldren just failed to divert his header in at the back post.

For all Welling’s play it was Whitehawk who should have been leading at the break.  Danny Mills broke the offside trap and was clean through on goal, he rounded the advancing  keeper Lewington only to see Jordan Brown make a superb goal line tackle to prevent the ball going in.

Thalassitis had the last effort of the half but his weak effort from range never troubled the keeper.

If Welling edged the first half, the second half was all Whitehawk as the Wings just capitulated and allowed the hosts to dominate the game.

Ibrahim Adediran-Akanbi forced a smart save from Lewington early on.

Josh Passley was then send clean through but with just Lewington to beat he slotted his effort wide.

Welling were being given plenty of warning shots especially with Danny Mills having the ball in the net only to see it ruled out for offside.

In a rare Welling attack Welling did hit the bar as Danny Waldren thundered a header against the cross bar, it would not have counted though as the linesman flag had been raised for offside.

With the game crying out for some quality it finally arrived in the 83rd minute.

Whitehawk won a free kick 25 yards from goal and up stepped  Frankie Sutherland who curled a magificent free kick beyond  Lewington. To send Whitehawk fans wild behind the goal.

In response Welling showed nothing in the last 7 minutes not creating a single chance to some up a dismal 2nd half display. The result leaves Welling having more than a passing glance back at the relegation places with 4 tough games to come.

Welling United: Lewington, Fish, Brown, Fuseini, Hayles, Francis, Karagiannis (Walker 55), Waldren, Slabber (Kathline 17), Thalassitis, Murrell-Williamson (Crawford 55). Subs not used: Leacock, Richards.

Attendance: 354


Start a Conversation