Welling United 3-3 Bognor Regis Town

Welling picked up their first point of the season in a thrilling 3-3 draw to newly promoted Bognor, but it was a game The Wings know they could and should have won.

This free scoring game came to life as early as the 9th minute. A simple long ball over the top of the Welling defence caught them cold and Jimmy Muitt raced cleared and smashed his effort past Dillion Barnes.

But Welling were level straight away, a deep Connor Dymond corner was met by a towering Jamie Coyle header which arrowed into the top corner.

The game was turned on its head just two minutes later in the 13th minute as Welling went ahead. Joseph-Dubois picked up a sloppy Bognor pass and he played the ball to Bradley Goldberg who took a touch before arrowing a low effort past Dan Lincoln in the Rocks goal.

You could see the goal allowed Welling to settle and they were fully on top. Connor Dymond blazed an effort over before Ian Gayle saw his goal bound header somehow blocked on the line.

Another Connor Dymond corner saw Tom Bradbrook glance a headed over from close range.

However in the 22nd minute Bognor were gifted an equaliser. A cross from Tuck on the left hand side looked a simple catch for Dillion Barnes but the on loan keeper inexplicably dropped the cross into his own net.

So Welling had to regroup and Joseph-Dubois almost gave The Wings the lead again from an acute angle but Lincoln was equal to the stop. So The Wings went in level at the break.

The 2nd half took a fairly similar pattern to the first with Welling doing the pressing and Bognor looking to break on the counter. In the 49th minute Healy wriggled free and with him looking certain to scorer he poked the ball wide. Bognor then went close themselves as Ollie Pearce’s shot was well saved by Barnes.

A ball into the box from Gayle was cleverly cheated down by Healy into the path of Goldberg but the former Bromley man fired well over.

Welling saw a big claim for a penalty waved away when a Jack Parkinson pile driver was blocked by the arm of a Bognor defender. As Welling pushed in search of a 3rd Connor Dymond had a shot deflect just over the bar.

Goldberg was looking lively and he was inches wide with an effort that had Lincoln beaten.

It was all Welling pressure and Olumide Durojaiye who came on as a sub an impressed, found the head of Bradbrook to head back for Healy but his audacious volley went high over.

When Goldberg raced clear in the 68th minute and Bognor keeper Dan Lincoln saved his low effort, you got the feeling it was going to be one of those days.

So it was no surprise in the 70th minute on the counter attack Bognor took the lead again. Jimmy Muitt skipped down the right crossed low for Ollie Pearce who met the cross with an outstretched foot.

Welling had to regroup again and once again equalised just two minutes later, Joe Healy smashing an effort from 25 yards into the top corner.

So now Welling had 15 minutes to find the winner, but they just could not find their way through. A low Bradbrook cross was turned against the bar only for Gayle to smash the rebound wide before Goldberg saw an effort go inches wide of the post. Sub Christian Nanetti then went over in the area as a penalty looked sure to be given but instead ref Jacob Miles booked Nanetti for simulation.

Then in the last minute of a tupsy turvey game Dillion Barnes came to the rescue atoning for his earlier mistake palming away a Harvey Whyte effort after the Rocks player had skipped past 3 challenges.

So Welling had to settle for a point in a throughly entertaining game, they now travel to Eastbourne on Tuesday night looking to build on this point.

Welling United: Barnes, Gayle, Jefford, Parkinson (Nanetti 67), Coyle, Francis, Dymond, Healy, Bradbrook, Goldberg, Joseph-Dubois (Durojaiye 59). Subs not used: Pavey, Pattisson.

Attendance: 511


Start a Conversation