Welling United 3-0 Eastbourne Borough

In what has been a difficult week off the pitch, Welling United claimed a vital victory to stop the winless run of seven league games.

With Hugo Langton departing this week, Jamie Coyle dropped himself to the bench in order to rule over the side more from the touchline. Part of the title winning squad Antony Acheampong came back to the club and his presence in defence was an added addition and gave some organisation to the back line.

In goal, which has proven a problem all season, Jonathan Miles became the sixth starting goalkeeper, joining on loan from Ebbsfleet United.

Welling started brightly and Tom Bradbrook went close early on, making space for the shot before curling his effort straight into the arms of Mark Smith.

Welling went ahead with just nine minutes on the clock. Goldberg weaved his way into the box before running into the trouble, the ball was only half cleared to Olu Durojaiye on the edge of the area. The midfielder took a touch before rifling home a strike that Smith could only parry into the net. It was just the start The Wings needed.

A teasing corner was inches from the head of Elliott Romain as the Wings pressed on for a 2nd.

Eastbourne who had not been in the game for long periods started to see more of the ball as Welling failed to build on the 1st goal but the nearest they came was when Torres curled an audacious effort over the bar from long range. As it was with just two minutes left of the 1st half, Welling had an effort cleared off the line. Bradbrook hit a fierce half volley goalwards that looked to be heading in only for Will Hendon to bravely head the ball which was travelling at some speed off the line. As Welling took a deserved lead into half time.

With Welling now kicking up towards the Park End in the 2nd half, the game was slow to get going, Welling mustering a few chances through corners and Eastbourne not threatening at all.

There was a long delay in play as Callum Driver and Yemi Obudabe clashed heads from a free kick both players had to be replaced but both players managed to walk off the pitch which was good to see. Harley Willard replacing Callum Driver for Welling.

Welling did look more of a threat from set pieces than in recent games and Jack Parkinson almost guided a Goldberg corner into the net, but his effort went over.

Harley Willard nearly made an instant impact driving into the Borough box before shooting wide of the post.

Welling doubled their lead in the 79th minute. Elliot Romain who did not stop running all game epitomised his performance with the 2nd goal, he ran down a back pass by Harry Ransom making keeper Mark Smith hurry his kick which he inadvertently kicked into the back of Romain as the ball trickled into the net. It was just rewards for Romain.

The goal well and truly beat off any hope Eastbourne had of getting back into the game. December’s play of the month Jack Jebb came on in place of Bradley Goldberg and he instantly brought out a save in Mark Smith with a smart save at his near post.

With Seven minutes off injury time added, in the 4th minute of time added on, Ian Simpemba crudely fouled Romain as he brushed past him. From the resulting free kick Jebb delivered an accurate free kick that found Elliot Romain who headed past Smith to cap a fine display and deservedly he won the man of the match award. If this was to be Romain’s last game before his loan deal is up, The Wings management will need to find a replacement for his work rate and goals which have been a bright spark in the poor recent run.

The Wings have an enforced break now with the next game a long trip South to Poole Town on Saturday 20th January.

Welling United: Miles, Driver (Willard 73), Johnson, Durojaiye, Acheampong, Parkinson, Dymond, Healy, Bradbrook (Monakana 65), Goldberg (Jebb 82), Romain. Subs not used: Coyle, Jefford.

Attendance: 404


Start a Conversation