Welling United 1-2 Wealdstone

The battle of the league’  two in form teams, saw Wealdstone come away victorious as Welling tasted defeat in the league for the first time since August.

Fresh from a six game winning run, Welling started well. A sublime move involong Jeffrey Monakana and Joe Healy, saw Monakana cross low into the box but Tom Bradbrook just missed the ball with an outstretched leg.

Anyone who thought this was the start of one way traffic were mistaken as Wealdstone grew into the game. Daniel Green dragged a shot wide when well placed.

Wealdstone were dictating the play from the midfield and the ball was played out to Dan Green who crossed for Abobaker Eisa but the forward glanced a header wide.

Ian Gayle had a half chance when glancing a teasing Jack Jebb free kick wide, but back came the visitors.

Eisa had an even better chance again from a header, flashing his effort wide when unmarked in the area. With Welling looking to have weathered the visitors attacks, Wealdstone grabbed the lead in the 38th minute. A deep cross from Dan Green evaded everyone but Ryan Sellers who arrived late at the back post to meet the ball on the half volley firing his effort into the ground which Barnes could only parry into the net.

Welling made a change at half time, bringing on Bradley Goldberg for Jebb. Just as The Wings needed a good start to the 2nd half Wealdstone doubled their lead in the 47th minute. A long ball over the top caused problems for The Wings defence, Jack Parkinson seemed to have dealt with the danger but he was adjudged to have fouled Eisa in the process and a penalty was awarded. Dan Green smashed his penalty home.

Now Welling really had to rally and Monakana sent Bradbrook clear, but he poked effort inches wide.

Things went from bad to worse as Ben Jefford was sent off for a tough tackle, that referee Mr Packman wasted no time in brandishing the red card rather than giving himself thinking time before making a decision.

If anything though Welling improved for going down to 10 men. The Wings started to really test keeper Jonathan North and he produced a smart save to deny a Bradbrook header.

With 66 minutes on the clock Welling scored to get back into the game. An excellent Monakana corner was met at the back post by Jack Parkinson that hit the underside of the crossbar and went in.

Welling piled forward in search of an equaliser and they had big claims for a penalty waved away, similar to the one Wealdstone were awarded but after Bradbrook went down the appeals were waved away much to the shock of the home faithful. North then made another good save denying Goldberg with 12 minutes left.

Wealdstone were now looking to soak up the Welling attacks before pouncing on the counter attack. Stephane Ngamvoulou done really well to create shooting space but blazed his effort horribly wide.

Joe Healy blazed over the bar as Welling’s attacks became limited towards the end.

It was Wealdstone who nearly added a third in injury time, Dan Fitchett hit the post with a low effort as Wealdstone ended Welling’s 6 game winning run.

The Wings will look to get back to winning ways next Saturday as they travel to St Albans.

Welling United: Barnes, Gayle (Phipps 83), Jefford, Durojaiye, Coyle, Parkinson, Monakana, Healy, Bradbrook, Jebb (Goldberg 46), Richards (Nanetti 66). Subs not used: Johnson, Francis.

Attendance: 666


Start a Conversation