Welling United 0-3 East Thurrock

Welling’s stuttering home form continued as they were resoundly beaten by a well organised East Thurrock side. The result comes at the start of a tough run of games in December so this is not the way the Wings would have wanted to kick the month off.

Jamie Coyle once again shuffled the pack in response to last week’s home defeat to Weston and Bradley Goldberg came back into the side in place of Tom Bradbrook and Jack Jebb made way for on loan midfielder Harry Phipps.

East Thurrock started on the front foot front from the off and on loan keeper Harry Sandford kept Welling in the game early on. He produced a smart save to deny a low left footed Tom Richardson shot. Sandford was at it again this time denying former Wings man Reece Harris with a super save. Perhaps the best of the lot came though when made a double save from a Sam Higgins header from a corner, drawing applause from both sets of fans.

The Wings just could not live with the East Thurrock attacks and eventually they did fall behind in the 33rd minute.

Former Welling man Reece Harris had the ball cut back to him and he hit a first time shot that curled into the net giving Sandford no chance.

Harry Wright the East Thurrock keeper who had been very quiet in the opening exchanges then saved brilliantly from Bradley Goldberg with his fierce shot heading in but the keeper fisted the ball away to safety.

With half time approaching Welling won a succession of free kicks on the edge of the box but both were tamely hit, into the wall rather summing up Welling’s first half performance.

At half time Welling made a change Tom Bradbrook replaced Harry Phipps as The Wings went for broke. The move helped as for the first part of the 2nd half they improved. Nanetti saw a shot saved by Wright before Bradbrook headed over a corner at the near post.

Healy then was denied by a superbly last ditch tackle from Ekikpeta in the East Thurrock as the National South League Player of the month barred down on goal.

Welling had a golden opportunity in the 58th minute. A clever header from Healy was played into the path of Goldberg and his fierce half volley was parried into the path of Archie Johnson. But Johnson, who had the goal at his mercy directed his side footed effort well wide much to the agony of the fans willing him to put it in.

That miss set the tone for the remainder of the game as Welling fell to pieces. Welling had Connor Dymond sent off on 69 minutes when he received a 2nd yellow the first for remonstrating with the referee and then the 2nd was for a cheap foul just outside the box.

From the resulting free kick Sam Higgins hit the apex of the goal. Welling’s luck though ran out a minute later. In the 71st minute with The Wings at sixes and sevens trying to reorganise themselves a simple punt over the top caught the Wings defence static and Sam Higgins fired a volley past Sandford.

Welling were a deflated side and East Thurrock scored a 3rd with a sublime goal in the 82 minute. Sam Higgins picked the ball up and curled a delightful effort into the top corner which even Ryan Sandford could only watch as it flew past him and into the net.

The Wings were well beaten at full time and somehow must improve the deteriorating home form if they want to be in with a shot at the play offs come April.

They get a chance next week as Welling host high flying Truro City at Park View Road on Saturday.

Welling: Sandford, Dymond, Jefford (E Phipps 76mins), Durojaiye, Coyle, Parkinson, Nanetti (Jebb 80mins), Healy, H Phipps (Bradbrook 46mins), Goldberg, Johnson. Subs not used: Gayle, Francis.

Attendance: 432.


Start a Conversation