Welling United 0-3 Charlton Athletic

A strong Charlton Athletic side beat Welling United in this traditional curtain raiser friendly. With just three weeks until Welling make the long journey to Truro for the season opener this was a good test against Karl Robinson League one side.

In a game that was rather slow to get going it was Charlton who had the first chance after 10 minutes but Josh Magennis dragged a shot wide from long range.

Very few chances were created by either side with both sets of players looking for plenty touches of the ball and whilst Charlton had more of the possession, Welling were matching them for work rate and endeavour but in the 25th minute it was the away side who took the lead. 

The lively Cameron Stewart produced an excellent cross from the right and his pinpoint cross was met by Jason Pearce who coolly side-footed home at the back post past Lewington.

Rather than be rattled the goal galvanized The Wings and they very nearly drew level. A long diagonal ball from Ben Jefford found David Moli as he ran into the box he cut the ball back from the byline to Bradley Goldberg but Dillon Phillips made a superb instinct save with his feet to prevent the home side levelling things up.

The game was now becoming more of a contest, the tempo was raised and back came Charlton. Welling were indebted to goalkeeper Chris Lewington many times last season and he was again in fine form in this macth firstly saving from close range from George Lapslie header that looked destined to find the net before palming away Ahearne-Grant fierce shot over the bar for a corner. 

However he could do nothing about The Addicks 2nd. In the 41st minute Cameron Stewart was again the provider with a low cross, Lewington did exceptionally well to keep out Patrick Bauer’s initial header but Bauer was on hand to prod the rebound over the line to double the scoreline. 

As is customary with this fixture the 2nd half brought about plenty of changes with both sides running the eye over certain players and traialists. In his post match interview Welling manager was quick to mention that he took a watching brief of today’s game so he could cast his eye over the squad as he looks to trim his squad down in numbers.  Midway through the half Bradley Goldberg brought out a save from Dillion Phillips with a well-hit free-kick while sub Francis Babalola cut inside but fired wide as Welling at least tried to force of the pace which did rapidly drop off as the game went on. Connor Dymond gave the Welling faithful a taste of his no nonecse and committed play with a flying challenge that may well have earnt a booking in a competitive game.

But this traditional friendly was rounded off by one last goal in the 87th minute, as Charlton sub, Mikhail Kennedy, played a neat one-two with Michael Fernandes before slotting past sub Welling keeper Collier who had come on for Lewington in the Welling goal as The Addicks wrapped up the game. 

It was another good workout for Welling and they now turn their attention to VCD away on Tuesday night as the first game of the season looms on the horizon.

Welling United: Lewington (Collier 81), Durojaiye, Jefford (Johnson 65), Parkinson (Corne 58), Francis (Dembele 67), Gayle (Brown 78), Joseph-Dubois (Babalola 46), Dymond (Dombaxe 68), Bradbrook (Pavey 58), Goldberg (Fiddes 69), Moli (Pattison 40): Unused substitute: Coyle.

Referee: I Fissenden

Attendance: 1,370

Start a Conversation