Welling United 0-2 Bath City

Welling’s play off hopes ended on Tuesday night with a home defeat to Bath City. It was a below par performance from Welling and handed Bath who had little to play for, a very comfortable three points.

Needing the win to stand any chance of getting into the play offs Jamie Philpot saw a shot from range saved within the first 30 seconds, but any Wings fans hoping that this would set the tone for the rest of the game were wrong.

Welling sat back and allowed Bath to dictate the game, Miles Welch-Hayes was allowed to run half the length of the pitch unchallenged before shooting straight at Bailey Vose

Welch-Hayes missed an even better chance shortly after as he met​ Matt Richards’ corner​ at the near post but he could only direct his header just wide

​Andy Watkins then went close for Bath as they pressed again, looking like the side going in search of the play offs and not Welling.​

In a rare chance for Welling, a Ryan Hall corner was not dealt with by Southwood, but Magnus could only head the loose ball straight into the keepers arms.

​The Wings had Jamie​ Philpot​ to thank just before half time as he blocked a goal bound effort from a corner which had bounced around in the area​.

​Having got in level at the break and needing the win ​Welling ​sent on Joe Healy and Adam Coombes for​ Connor​ Dymond and Jack Jebb. ​But the change did nothing to stop the onslaught and eventually Bath took a deserved lead.​

​Just ​three minutes into the second half​ had passed​, Bradley Goldbberg lost the ball cheaply in a crucial area of the pitch, this enabled Bath to break, Tom Smith ​charged forward before slipping the ball to Antoine Semenyo ​who finished well past Vose.

​Hall then produced an excellent cross that just alluded Philpot, before a ball over the Bath defence saw Goldberg control but snatch his shot well wide, as Welling really struggled to find any rhythm.

​On the hour mark Bath scored thier 2nd of the game, James Morton ​was allowed to run without a single challenge before ​slipping the ball to Smith who​ timed his run and produced a smart finsih past Vose.

​Now needing three goals Welling did throw more players forward and ​Healy​ almost hooked the ball over the advancing Southwood but the keeper stood tall and saved well.​

Coombes ​then produced some great control to set himself before firing his snap shot wide. But Bath were looking to hit Welling on the break and they should have had a 3rd in the 70th minute Welch-Hayes ​sent Smith clear but this time he fired wide.

With Welling now sending long balls into the attack,​Coombes​ did well to control another long ball but this time he could only fire straight at Southwood​

​But Bath came the closest to adding to the scoreline with 5 minutes to go ​Vose​ pulling off a good save to keep out the impressive Smith.​

​The final whistle went and with it ended Welling’s play off dreams for the season and despite this being a step forward on last season, the management team may well look back on this season with a tinge of what might have been.

The Wings finish the campaign away at Chippenham Town on Saturday

Watch \hd highlights from Welling United vs Bath City HERE free to all on YouTube (coming late tonight after embargo)

Attendance 365​

Welling United: Vose, Driver (Nanetti 76), Hall, Parkinson, Okuonghae, Coyle, Dymond (Healy 46), Durojaiye, Philpot, Goldberg, Jebb (Coombes 46). Subs not used: Jefford, Johnson.

Highlights will play in the video player above from 10:00pm on Wednesday


Start a Conversation