Welling United 0-1 Charlton Athletic

Ten man Welling were beaten by an injury time Naby Sarr strike as a a strong Charlton Athletic side ended The Wings interest in the Kent Senior cup.

Despite it being a back to wall performance It was an improvement on the poor defeat on Saturday as Jamie Coyle looks for a positive reaction to the setback.

Five minutes had passed when Ahearne-Grant’s sent in a cross from the right that was met by a volley from Aribo but he placed his effort wide.

They almost took the lead in the 22nd minute when Ahearne-Grant did well to get into the box, before hitting an effort that came back off the inside of the post.

Having survived the early scares Welling tried to get into the game. Christie Pattison handed a start by manager Jamie Coyle did well in the box before putting his effort over the bar. The Wings almost stole the lead in the 32 minute a super delivery from a Jack Jebb corner was met by Sean Francis only to see a marvellous reaction save from Dillion Phillips to tip his header over the bar.

The Wings finished the half strongly and after a mazy run from Monakana he fed Pattison but the former Phoenix man again hit his effort over the bar.

The start to the 2nd half saw Welling reduced to ten men. Jack Jebb lost control of the ball on the edge of the area box and and allowed Matt Carter to nip in and steal the ball off of him. Pulling Carter back, Jebb was adjudged to be the last man and shown a straight red card by referee Mr Stokes.

This allowed Charlton to take the ascendancy and Ahearne-Grant hit a strong effort that Barnes did well to hold. The experienced JonnieJackson then missed with a free header from a corner.

On the hour mark, Dodoo had the ball in the net but he was ruled offside.

In the 78th minute Monakana cut inside and unleashed a low drive but Phillips saved well.

The game was to slow down in pace as it drew to its conclusion and it wasn’t until the 87th minute when Charlton’s F Yao hit an audacious shot from distance which Barnes spilled Anderson was looking to follow up on the rebound but Barnes recovered well to deny him.

But with 3 minutes of the 4 additional minutes of injury time played, Charlton grabbed a late, late winner.

Nabby Sarr struck with a wonderful shot from 22 yards out into the bottom left-hand corner leaving Barnes no chance.

Welling return to league action with a tricky away trip to Havant & Waterlooville on Saturday.

Welling: Barnes, Dymond, Johnson, Dujojaiye, Gayle (Parkinson 46), Francis, Pattison, Jebb, Phipps (Milton 79), Nanetti, Monakana (Duyile 79).

Subs (not used): Jefford, Fulbrook.

Attendance: 154

There is no post match interview for this game.

Start a Conversation