Oxford City 1-1 Welling United

Welling made it four games unbeaten as they picked up a point at Oxford City. On a hot August day The Wings kept plugging away and were rewarded when Bradley Goldberg coolly slotted home a late penalty.

With Joe Healy and Ben Jefford absent, new loan signing Harry Phipps, was given an immediate start.

With Oxford having conceded five of their seven goals from corners last Saturday , Welling may have fancied their chances from set pieces. Ian Gayle just heading over from a precise Jack Jebb corner as early as the 5th minute.

It was a repeat performance 10 minutes later as Gayle rose highest to meet a Jebb corner but could not keep his header down.

Having survived those scares, Oxford seem to settle and grow in confidence. Dillion Barnes had to produce a wonderful save tipping over a close range header from Captain Lee Henderson. Three minutes later Barnes was again called into action saving at full stretch to deny a low shot from Zac McEachran.

Oxford continued to press forward and Patterson fired over from range before their pressure told and Oxford took the lead right on half time. A low shot into the area from Patterson went through a sea of players only to find Rob Sinclair on the penalty spot who turned and poked the ball into the bottom corner.

Welling did have one half chance before the break as this time Bradbrook headed a Jebb corner over the bar.

If Oxford shaded the First Half then it was The Wings turn in the 2nd half and they immediately started on the front foot. Tom Bradbrook had a glorious opportunity just two minutes into the 2nd half but he planted his header straight at Jack Stevens after good work from Monakana. On loan keeper Stevens then made a superb save to his right denying a fierce shot from Bradley Goldberg. Welling then had a big shout for a penalty waved away as a Monakana cross looked to have hit the arm Eddie Jones in the area.

Ian Gayle who could have had a hat trick of headers put another Jebb corner wide this time with no one marking him.

The Wings made a double substitution with around 20 minutes to go as Christian Nanetti and Lloyd Macklin replacing Harry Phipps and Tom Bradbrook, the attacking change seemed to help The Wings.

Goldberg and Stevens continued their own private dual with another fierce goal bound effort from Goldberg being well saved by Stevens. The pendulum of the game then swung in Welling’s favour in the 73rd minute as on the counter attack Oxford, forced a fine save from Barnes and Dave Pearce was on hand to stab the loose ball home only to see the goal ruled out for offside.

Just five minutes later came Welling’s slice of luck. A Jebb corner had been cleared by Oxford but referee Mr Bell saw an off the ball incident between Jack Parkinson and Lee Henderson which left Parkinson on the floor, Mr Bell brought play back to award Welling a penalty and show captain Lee Henderson a straight red card. Upstepped Bradley Goldberg and he made no mistake to bring the game level at 1-1.

It was now Welling who looked the more likely to win the game, as Jack Parkinson went close twice late on. Firstly just failing to connect with a low Jebb cross at the back post which was deflected for a corner. From the corner he put his free header just wide.

So Welling picked up another point on their travels. The busy August Bank Holiday weekend continues with Hampton & Richmond the visitors to PVR on Monday. Kick off 3pm.

Welling United: Barnes, Gayle, Durojaiye, Jebb, Coyle, Parkinson, Monakana, Dymond, Bradbrook (Macklin 63), Goldberg, Phipps (Nanetti 63). Subs not used: Francis, Pattisson, Johnson

Attendance: 252


Start a Conversation