Hemel Hempstead 2-2 Welling United

A game of two halves saw Welling fight back to claim a point in a pulsating game against fellow play off chasers Hemel Hempstead. For the 2nd week in a row The Wings found themselves two goals behind, but once again they showed plenty of heart and desire to claim the draw.

Hemel started the brighter and James Kaloczi had a glorious chance to put the host in front but he blazed over after the ball had been square to him just inside the area.

However Hemel did take the lead in the 9th minute. Welling lost the ball in the midfield cheaply and the ball was worked to Antonio German (who had signed 24 hours previously for Hemel) he curled a spectacular effort from 25 yards out which bounced in via the underside of the bar.

A shell shocked Welling nearly fell two behind when Will Hoskins got on the end of a smart move and cleverly scored but the effort was ruled out for offside.

The Wings are always a threat from the set pieces of Jack Jebb and his excellent free kick found Jack Parkinson unmarked in the area. With his low diving header destined for the goal somehow Laurie Walker tipped the ball over the bar, a super save.

Hemel then double their lead in the 39th minute. Jeffery Monakana lost control of the ball on the edge of the box and in his attempt to win the ball back Joe Howe stole in and he was tripped Jordan Parkes celebrating his 200th game for the home side easily converted past Kitscha.

It was nearly 3 in time added on of the 1st half but Hoskins shot straight at Kitscha when clean through.

So after a subdued half The Wings made a double change at the break and the changes paid dividends as Welling looked completely revitalised. Ian Gayle and Jack Jebb making way for Eli Phipps and Bradley Goldberg

It was Hemel though who went closest first in the 2nd half as Tom Day brought a save out of Kitscha and it proved vital as Welling immediately broke to score to get back in the game.

In the 54th minute Archie Johnson burst down the left, before standing an inch perfect cross for Tom Bradbrook to arch a towering header past Walker.

Within minutes of the restart Welling somehow failed to equalise, the lively Eli Phipps ran into the box crossed for Joe Healy but his clever flick was somehow saved by Walker.

In the 59th minute though Welling did equalise and in some fashion as well. For how well Laurie Walker had played he made a hash of a clearance and the ball found Joe Healy just inside the Hemel half. Healy had the presence of mind to look up, spot Walker out of his goal and he accurately hit an audacious effort over the head of Walker and into the middle of an unguarded net. A special goal.

This equalising goal really opened the game up and Hemel came close to retaking the lead an unconvincing save from Kitscha from a Parkes effort only diverted the ball into the path of Hoskins but brave defending blocked his effort.

Jeffery Monakana nearly capped signing his 18 month deal with the club with a fine goal but he curled just over, before Welling were left scratching their heads as to how they didn’t go ahead.

A low cross caused panic in the Hemel defence and a goal mouth scramble ensued with Goldberg applying a touch that looked to be going in but the spin of the ball enabled a Hemel defender to clear, it was inches from Welling taking the lead.

With that Hemel went straight up the other end and came inches from scoring themselves. Joe Howe hit a shot from outside of the area which deflected onto the post. The impressive Jordan Parkes then saw his deflected shot go inches wide with Kitscha a spectator. As Hemel now could sense a winner.

With a minute to go Hemel almost grabbed it as well but Connor Dymond somehow cleared Anton German shot off the line.

But that would have been harsh on Welling and this pulsating game was brought to an end by referee Mr Massey-Ellis as The Wings travel home with the view of a point gained rather than two dropped. The result leaves them 7th in the table but incredibly just 3 points off of top, in a very tight Vanarama South table.

Welling have a break from the league next week as they entertain Weston Super Mare at home in the FA Trophy.

Welling United: Kitscha, Dymond, Johnson, Durojaiye, Coyle, Parkinson, Monakana (Nanetti 86), Healy, Bradbrook, Jebb (Goldberg 46), Gayle (Phipps 46). Subs not used: Richards, Francis.
Attendance: 453



Start a Conversation