Hampton & Richmond 1-1 Welling United

Once again Welling suffered last minute heartbreak as Hampton stole a last gasp equaliser against a Welling side who had to play with ten men for the last twenty minutes.

On the face of it, it was a good point against a solid side, but to be so close to three points, The Wings were left wicking their wounds.

On a heavy pitch that coped well with the heavy overnight rain, it was Hampton who came closest to opening the scoring first. Shaun Jeffers was played through by Max Kretzschmar’s header but the forward hit his effort wide.

However with 15 minutes on the clock, Welling won a penalty. Adam Coombes latched onto a ball played into the area but was upended by Charlie Wassmer.
Bradley Goldberg usually so reliable from the spot, struck his penalty straight at keeper Seny Dieng. The rebound was met by Jack Jebb who headed back to Goldberg who was on hand to poke home.
Incredibly though some fully 20 seconds after the ball had hit the net, the linesman decided to flag for offside and the goal was ruled out.

This seemed to galvanise Hampton as they took the game to Welling Brendan Kiernan brought a cracking save out of Bradley Vose from a super half volley. Shaun Jeffers, then saw a shot bravely blocked.
If one critisicim can be labelled at Welling, they let their frustrations boil over and both Jack Jebb and Callum Driver picked up cheap bookings for dissent and kicking the ball away.
Midway through the half Joe Healy saw a header saved after the midfielder met a cute Jack Jebb ball into the area after he spotted the run of Healy.

Into the second half and with The Wings kicking up the slope, it was again Hampton who had the first chance of the half. Bailey Vose denying Shaun Jeffers with his feet.
Bradley Hudson-Odoi then saw a shot deflected away for a corner.

However on the hour mark, Wings grabbed the lead. A precise free kick from Jack Jebb was met with a glancing header from the yet again impressive Jamie Philpot and into the corner of the net to give The Wings the lead.

However the game changed when Welling lost Jack Jebb to a 2nd booking with 20 minutes to go.
Jebb fouled Kretzschmar as he burst towards the box, it made his first booking look all the more damaging.

Welling also lost both Joe Healy and Archie Johnson to injury as the heavy pitch looked to take its toll. Welling opted for a have what we hold tactic as Hampton went in search of the equaliser. In the 75th minute Shaun Jeffers had the ball in the net but his effort was disallowed for a handball in the build up.
Vose again saved from Hudson-Odoi as Hampton really ramped up the pressure. The same player then saw a shot cleared off the line in the 80th minute, Jack Parkinson the man in the right place at the right time.

With Welling looking likely to grab a super away win, Hampton stole a point in the last 30 seconds of five minutes added on.

Welling dealt with the first phase of play but the ball was kept alive and found its way out to Brendan Kiernan, who hit a first time effort that was flying wide until the ball hit Olu Durojaiye and wrong footed Vose before nestling in the corner of the net.

Frustration boiled over at the final whistle and Jack Parkinson saw a straight red on the which will see him miss 3 of the final 6 games with suspension.

The point keeps Welling in the play off positions but with 6 games remaining, The Wings will know every point counts from here on in.

Welling United: Vose, Driver, Johnson (Jefford 53), Durojaiye, Okuonghae, Coyle, Jebb, Healy (Dymond 57), Goldberg (Parkinson 77), Coombes, Philpot. Subs not used: Nanetti, Hall.

Attendance: 627


Start a Conversation