Concord Rangers 0-2 Welling United

With a bitter Siberian wind blowing across the Aspect Arena, the weather was never going to allow for a free flowing game of football. So credit Welling for handling the conditions and producing a professional display to ensure Concord Rangers suffered their first home defeat since September.

In a scrappy opening to the game, Bailey Vose made a smart save to deny Femi Akinwande. Louis Wells then had to be alert to save a Jack Jebb free kick that was whipped into the area from the angle.

A spectacular effort from Joe Healy flashed over the bar before Bradley Goldberg like wise curled over the bar as Welling settled into the condions.

Former Welling man Ben Greenhalgh produced an inch perfect cross for another former Welling man Aristide Bassele who had a free header in the area but he could not keep his header down. Vose then had to be alert to save a Akinwande effort that bounced awkwardly in front of him.

On the half hour mark Ben Jefford was on the end of a nasty challenge from Khale Da Costa which forced him into the perimeter fence. Jefford was stretchered off with severe facial and arm cuts that required hospital treatment. Da Costa was only shown a yellow card for the tackle. Archie Johnson replaced Jefford.

Callum Driver who has turned in some impressive displays for The Wings in the last few games nearly caught Louie Wells off his line but the goalkeeper managed to prevent the ball from looping over him.

In the 40th minute a sublime header from Joe Healy gave Bradley Goldberg a clear sight of goal, Goldberg hit a fierce half volley that was heading into the top corner only for Wells to push it around the post for a super save.

A couple of half chances came and went for either side with Jamie Philpot going close for Welling and then Vose saved a Bassele effort for Concord, before Welling went ahead in first half stoppage time.

In the fifth and final minute of injury time a Ryan Hall corner was met by the head of Goldberg, his header was cleared off the line but the loose ball came to Jack Parkinson who lashed the ball into the net for his second goal in as many games.

Welling knew that Concord would come out of the blocks quickly in the 2nd half and Vose did well to pluck a deep Da Costa cross out of the air, under pressure from Bassele.

Welling nearly doubled their lead when Jamie Philpot rose well and his goal bound header was heading in but the ball hit the body of a covering defender and diverted wide for a corner.

The game changed in a crazy two minute spell.

In the 63rd minute Ryan Hall fizzed in a free kick that Ben Greenhalgh trying to head away could only glance his effort into his own net via underside of the crossbar.

In the 65th minute Jack Parkinson was adjudged to have fouled Da Costa after he was first to react to a low cross. Upstepped Ben Greenhalgh looking to atone for his own goal but after a long run up he hit his fiercely struck spot kick against the bar. A two minute spell the former Welling man will want to forget.

With 12 minutes remaining Concord then missed a glorious chance to get back into the game. Jed Smith pulled the ball back to Steve Cawley but he blazed over from just 5 yards out. This missed opportunity seemed to knock the stuffing out of Concord and it was Welling who were the most likely of the two sides to add to the score line. Both Jack Jebb and then Joe Healy saw shots saved by Louie Wells late on.

But Welling saw out the game well and they now head into two vital games that will go along way to determining if The Wings will be joining the play off party come May.

Welling United: Vose, Driver, Jefford (Johnson 29), Dymond, Acheampong, Parkinson, Jebb, Healy, Goldberg (Durojaiye 81), Philpot (Nanetti 90), Hall. Subs not used: Coyle, Monakana.

Attendance: 287


Start a Conversation