Braintree Town 1-1 Welling United

Welling picked up another point with their third succesive 1-1 draw on the road on Tuesday night, in a hard fought encounter with Braintree. Having started the game well, Braintree pegged The Wings back for long periods in the 2nd half so Jamie Coyle and his men will be happy coming away with a share of the points.

With both strikers out injured The Wings started with a makeshift front line and they started brightly.
Jack Jebb who was playing further forward dragged a shot wide from range on a greasy playing surface.

Jebb soon had another effort this time though he just failed to keep a half volley down as it sailed over the bar. Then with 12 minutes on the clock Welling should have taken the lead. Parkinson got free from his marker where he met a Jack Jebb corner at the near post but headed the wrong side of the post and the ball went wide.

Braintree who have not been beaten at home this season slowly got into stride and Dillion Barnes needed to be alert and brave to punch away a Roman Michael-Percil cross that would have caused problems.

Then in the 26th minute Braintree against the run of play took the lead. Michael-Percil took advantage of a defensive slip from Connor Dymond down the Welling right and played a perfectly weighted ball through to Phil Roberts. Roberts finished powerfully at the near post to put the hosts ahead.

The Wings looked shell shocked and Phil Roberts shot wide before Michael-Persil fired over when he looked destined to score, as Braintree looked to add to the tally.

The Wings were in need of a bit of inspiration, and they found some in the 36th minute through Jeffrey Monakana.

Monakana picked up the ball on the right hand side before cutting inside and curling his effort beyond the reach of a diving Nathan McDonald, not a bad way to score your first Welling goal.

Braintree tried to rally and Luke Allen curled a free kick just over the bar after Jack Parkinson was adjudged to have committed a foul just outside the area. Allen was in the thick of things and somehow missed an open goal after the Wings had failed to clear their lines, it was a let off for the away side.

There was still time in the half for Barnes to pull off a great save denying Karl Oliyide with his feet as the home side finished the half strongly.

Braintree started the 2nd half from where they left the 1st half, on the front foot.

A corner was missed by Barnes in a crowd of players as the ball was headed wide by ex Wing Osa Obamwonyi at the back post with the goal at his mercy. Luke Allen was having a good game for the hosts and he forced Barnes into another smart save after he had broke clear.

Barnes was by far the busier of the two goalkeepers and he saved routinely from Christian Frimpong

Barnes was in inspired form as he saved low down to his right to prevent Jon Muleba before Allen saw a half chance easily gathered by the Wings number 1.

​With 20 minutes remaining ​Barnes ​produced another fine save to parry the ball away and Jamie Coyle was on hand to clear the danger.

Dernell Wynter ​then hit the side netting for the hosts as they continued to pour forward. It took until the 75th minute for Welling to produce an effort on goal such was the backs to the wall effort they were producing. Nanetti forcing Macdonald into a very smart save.

​This seemed to open the game up as Welling started to sense they could snatch a victory and they very nearly did. Jack Parkinson saw a header from a Healy corner somehow kept out between a combination of McDonald with a save and the defender on the line to hack the ball away. This hacked clearance led to a Braintree break away ​and Tyler Campbell​ got the better of Ben Jefford to burst clean through but yet again Dillion Barnes made another super save.​

​With time ticking in the 89th minute ​Joe Healy ​had a minute of madness by recieving two yellows in under a minute. The first for kicking the ball away and the 2nd for a clumsy challenge in the middled of the park.​ Welling felt as though they should have had a penalty in injury time as Nanetti went down after a mazy run, but Nanetti was subsequently booked for alledge simulation.

​It was Braintree who nearly stole the points ​as a low shot from Frimpong ​hit the inside of the post ​and some how the follow up was put wide.

Welling held on for a bruising but yet rewarding point as they head into two back to back crucial home games starting with Poole Town on Saturday.

Welling United: Barnes, Dymond, Jefford, Phipps, Coyle, Parkinson, Pattisson (Durojaiye 56), Healy, Monakana, Jebb (Macklin 67), Nanetti. Subs not used: Gayle, Francis, Johnson.

​Attendace 504​


Start a Conversation