Bath City 1-1 Welling United

It was a case of what could have been for Welling on Saturday. The Wings dominated the play for long periods of the 1st half but ultimately they were made to pay for missed chances and unfortunate Injuries.

Welling started really well and took the game to Bath, Harry Phipps stole the ball in the midfield played it to Bradley Goldberg but his shot lacked power and was easily gathered by Luke Southwood in the City goal.

Joe Healy then produced an excellent free kick that found Bradbrook but he did well to get a connection on the ball and his effort went wide.

It took Bath 15 minutes to have a meaningful shot and when it arrived Marvin Morgan did well in the area but turned and fired a shot straight at Dillon Barnes.

Back came Welling a Healy corner was not dealt with by the Bath defence and Bradbrook was on hand to direct a half volley goalwards but Southwood made a smart save.

It was no surprise though in the 19th minute when The Wings went ahead. A Healy corner again caused problems and was only half cleared to Harry Phipps who floated a header back towards the back post and ended up nestling in the far corner.

1 should have been 2 shortly after. Tom Bradbrook disposed some poor Bath play and skipped clear but he shot straight at Southwood.

The Wings then lost Goldbberg to injury then so Lloyd Macklin came on. Macklin was in the thick of the action straight away. He was sent clear as well, but Southwood again saved the effort as Wings could have been three goals ahead.

The Wings then suffered a further blow as they lost Tom Bradbrook to injury Jack Jebb came on in his place.

These changes seemed to effect Welling and Bath came back into the game. An excellent cross by Nick McCootie was met by Andy Watkins but he headed into the side netting.

Right on half time Watkins again had another chance but he flashed his shot over when well placed. But a dominant Welling deserved the half time lead, but they were to rue the missed chances.

Bath made a double substitution at half time. But again it was Welling who missed another golden opportunity. A super cross by Jebb was perfect for Macklin however he was not able to get the touch that would have directed the ball home.

Nick McCootie then shot tamely at Barnes. In a game that was becoming more open, Christian Nanetti played Jebb in down the right, the ball was then pulled back for Macklin but he failed to trouble Southwood.

With 20 minutes to go Bath punished Welling for the missed chances. Welling made a hash of clearing their lines and this allowed Jack Compton to cross for sub Jamie Lucas to guide the ball home from close range.

Christie Pattisson who came on as a sub for Monakanna crossed for Healy, but his audacious effort went wide. Bath could have stole the points themselves but Jamie Lucas blazed over the bar late on.

As both sides cancelled each other out and The Wings had to settle for a very frustrating point, that could have so easily have been three.

The Wings travel to Essex on Tuesday to face Braintree Town.

Welling United: Barnes, Dymond, Jefford, Phipps, Coyle, Parkinson, Monakana (Pattisson 78), Healy, Bradbrook (Jebb 34), Goldberg (Macklin 26), Nanetti. Subs not used: Francis, Johnson.

Attendance: 542



Start a Conversation